Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xpansion

Meditation Is Not Magic And Won't Fix You

6 posts in this topic

So many people on this website seem to be very misguided or misinformed about meditation. The posts seem almost desperate. They want effects, experiences, to get something , anything. It's like they think meditation is some cool novelty fad thing that you do for a little while and then suddenly you get to some eternal place of bliss and happiness with no more problems.  They tell how they sit for a week or a few months but they aren't getting what they want.

I'm not sure what Leo has taught them in the videos because I don't watch his meditation videos but maybe he needs to set them straight.  I have been trying to advise them but I can't keep up with it so I'm not going to read the posts anymore.  No sooner have I answered one post to one of these people and another one appears. I think this is what happens when mindfulness/meditation becomes a trendy new object of desire in western culture but the very important foundations such as the 4 noble truths, the 5 hindrances, the 8foldpath, the 5 precepts and the brahma viharas that are meant to be taught with it in Buddhism are left out. When meditation is divorced from its origins in this way it is nothing more than a fad.

People just want to launch into a technique and want an instant fix like its a drug or magical commercial product. Fix my life, take away my problems, satisfy me, make me happy, me me me etc  Then when they realise it isn't what they thought it was or expected they are confused and dissapointed.   This is why so many people do not keep up the practice.   All I can suggest for all of you is to be patient, get some proper guidance from a good teacher and read some good dhamma books.  Meditation will slowly transform your perspective but accept that you cannot just step to the peak of the mountain in one moment.    

Meditation can help you to see how craving and aversion will cause you to suffer. The wanting this and that from it is a perfect example of how craving and desire will hinder you.   

Five hindrances

Edited by Xpansion

Wisdom is settling in and experiencing reality in the moment.

35 minutes ago, Xpansion said:

the very important foundations such as the 4 noble truths, the 5 hindrances, the 8foldpath, the 5 precepts and the brahma viharas that are meant to be taught with it in Buddhism are left out.

Buddha said 'APPO DEEPO BHAVA' -- 'Be a light unto yourself. Let everybody learn from his mistakes. Every person is unique, there can't be any ready made path. There is no definite direction that one can follow. 

It is as if you are lost in a forest. What do you do? You have no map and there is no way leading anywhere -- trees and trees and trees all around, and you are lost. What do you do? You start walking, searching, seeking. By your very walk, by your very search, a path is created. Life is wild, and it is good that it is wild. 

It is not so cheap, to reach to the ultimate realization of truth. You will have to create the path by walking yourself; the path is not ready-made, lying there and waiting for you.

i think actualization is always going to be more about experience, taking the theories, actually making a connection in your mind with them and trying to portray them in your daily life. Being neurotic or leaving your thoughts to dissuade won't really help you at all. Self actualization shouldn't even be seen as some tool to help you prosper. Its made for the man to dissect, understand and experience and accepting everything that comes after that, and not expecting anything before that. Meditation is useful if you use it properly, and it's also good for regaining vitality and energy and day to day life. So saying its useless is pretty ignorant, but thinking it will magically fix your problems is also ignorant and pretty stupid. 

Yep, magical pills do not exist.
Leo has also mentioned this in some of this videos.

When people start searching, the first thing they always look for is a magical pill, and they do not want to hear that such pill does not exist.
Meditation is a tool you can use to achieve enlightenment, however its not a requirement.

When people are not being honest with themselves, they can meditate all they want, but will never reach enlightenment. Thus kind of making all of it just a other thing to do so there ego mind can feel extra important/special.

Yes and no, depends on how you use it. But it really can be, dedicate (part of) your life to it and see the magic unfold right before, or behind your eyes, take psychedelics/weed to nitro boost your path every once in a while.

Well meditation has some great biological benefits first of all which in it alone is enough in my opinion.
If you really do meditation like it is supposed to be done you will become very conscious which itself will transform your life you will become healthy and you just will not be able to hurt yourself with destructive behaviours anymore. Surely it is not like you can just do it for a short period of time you have to make it a habit which you will keep up for the rest of your life which leo actually talks about.