intotheblack

Ego opposites

4 posts in this topic

Out of these 2 examples of egos which has most resistance to change? 

One type of ego and the most stereotypical... the ‘big ego’ .. this may be the type of person who has a very high opinion of oneself, appear very confident, believes they are better than others, they are always right and get very defensive if someone questions them.

Another type of ego, let’s call this ‘small ego’  they basically think the opposite of the ‘big ego’ they have a low opinion of themselves, lower self esteem, blame themselves for things, are also defensive, they may have victim mentality. It’s still ego but a different degree.  

I think the ‘big ego’ is the one that is harder to change.  For that type of person to change they would first need an ego death, and it’s harder for them to look at themselves. they would need to go through what the ‘small ego’ is going through.  For the ‘small ego’ they only need to go up to break out.  Whereas the ‘big ego’ must first go down and then up.  I think.  

Of course it’s possible that both types have an awakening of some kind and that makes them change course. 

Thoughts? 

The reason I’m asking is because I have these 2 types of people in my life.  They are both stubborn and closed in their world views.  One is ‘’I am right and I don’t need anyone to tell me nothing ‘’ the other is ‘’I am doomed and that’s how it is’’

which ego has the most resistance in these 2 examples ? 

That's a tricky one, and there's no simple answer.

On the one hand, you seem to be addressing stubbornness as the main obstacle towards change. Although, "change" here sounds a bit vague, but I can work with it. So, you're basically rooting for the idea that stubborn people are less likely to change. But on the other hand, a person who's stuck in a victim's mindset can exhibit similar amounts of resistance. I think it is safe to say that some patterns can turn to become as stubborn as a narcissist, and therefore prevent change.

I would say there are probably a lot of other factors that contribute to change. So, it's really hard to say.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

On 4/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, intotheblack said:

One type of ego and the most stereotypical... the ‘big ego’ .. this may be the type of person who has a very high opinion of oneself, appear very confident, believes they are better than others, they are always right and get very defensive if someone questions them.

Another type of ego, let’s call this ‘small ego’  they basically think the opposite of the ‘big ego’ they have a low opinion of themselves, lower self esteem, blame themselves for things, are also defensive, they may have victim mentality. It’s still ego but a different degree.  

It is not ego, but more of self-esteem. 

One estimates themselves worth a lot, others estimate themselves worth little.

They are both hard to change because self-esteem is self-assigned on the level of self-identity.

It can't be changed without changing the self. 

Small ego. 

On 5.04.2021 г. at 2:15 PM, intotheblack said:

For the ‘small ego’ they only need to go up to break out.  Whereas the ‘big ego’ must first go down and then up.  I think.  

It's reversed. Big ego only needs to go down. Small ego needs to go up and then down again.