Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gianna

Victor E. Frankl Man's Search For Meaning

11 posts in this topic

There is a great quote in Victor Frankl's Mans Search For Meaning that I always turn to when thinking about Life Purpose. It states: 

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by becoming responsible." 

I read this quote while having enlightenment ideas in the back of my head. So I thought, "What are the unique circumstances in my life that could serve as answers to God (aka Myself) to the question: what is the meaning of this life, of this particular journey? What is it ultimately for? What or who is it trying to serve? What are the particular idiosyncrasies, talents/skills/abilities, interests/passions, resources, experiences, knowledge, etc., etc.? What message could the combination of all of these things send to my higher self? These are the questions I consider when dreaming up my life purpose. 

What are your guys' interpretations of this quote and how do you think it relates to LP and/or enlightenment? 

Edited by Gianna

To me it puts the responsibility into one's own lap, rather than believing that one has a particular destiny to fulfill (which kind of is restricting and limiting since one is constantly worried one is doing the wrong thing and can lead to inaction).  Whereas the other way says "Life is here for you to create.  There are no limits.  You can do whatever you want.  There's no predestined path.  Create. Express"  This to me seems less restricting and anxiety producing and more playful since it liberates one to be an artist with life and just try things and learn as you go.  It's more opening to me.  

It puts life in your lap rather than outside oneself. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Love that book. Very wisely written. 

5 hours ago, Gianna said:

my higher self

“Atma, the “Higher Self,” is neither your Spirit nor mine, but like sunlight shines on all. It is the universally diffused “divine principle,” and is inseparable from its one and absolute Meta-Spirit, as the sunbeam is inseparable from the sunlight.”

-H.P. BLAVATSKY

16 hours ago, Gianna said:

There is a great quote in Victor Frankl's Mans Search For Meaning that I always turn to when thinking about Life Purpose. It states: 

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by becoming responsible." 

I read this quote while having enlightenment ideas in the back of my head. So I thought, "What are the unique circumstances in my life that could serve as answers to God (aka Myself) to the question: what is the meaning of this life, of this particular journey? What is it ultimately for? What or who is it trying to serve? What are the particular idiosyncrasies, talents/skills/abilities, interests/passions, resources, experiences, knowledge, etc., etc.? What message could the combination of all of these things send to my higher self? These are the questions I consider when dreaming up my life purpose. 

What are your guys' interpretations of this quote and how do you think it relates to LP and/or enlightenment? 

Great book but to me it's not relevant because it's coming from an ego point of view.

I separate books written by Enlightened Ones and books written by anyone else.

It's like seeing a therapist, therapist help the ego, but if one is trying to go beyond the ego then a therapist isn't going to help much.

The ego always wants to know.

Some say we incarnate into this world to grow and learn some kind of lesson. Apparently so we can get to the next step in our evolution to Enlightenment.

The quote seems to say we choose or give life it's meaning. But that seems a little fake to me. I mean one can say they are good at certain things and try to figure out what fits and then pick a meaning.  But really!

It doesn't seem like what one does in life matters much. More important to me is what one is. 

Thanks

On 4/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, Matt23 said:

To me it puts the responsibility into one's own lap, rather than believing that one has a particular destiny to fulfill (which kind of is restricting and limiting since one is constantly worried one is doing the wrong thing and can lead to inaction). 

This is also restricting and limiting in that it gives people the idea that their 'destiny' will fall into their lap without much effort. Super dangerous. 

Life is here for you to create.  There are no limits.  You can do whatever you want.  There's no predestined path.  Create. Express"

liberates one to be an artist with life and just try things and learn as you go.

It puts life in your lap rather than outside oneself. 

these interpretations are incredibly beautiful! I am going to write them down in my journal as affirmations.

On 4/3/2021 at 9:59 AM, freejoy said:

Great book but to me it's not relevant because it's coming from an ego point of view.

I separate books written by Enlightened Ones and books written by anyone else.

It's like seeing a therapist, therapist help the ego, but if one is trying to go beyond the ego then a therapist isn't going to help much.

The ego always wants to know.

Some say we incarnate into this world to grow and learn some kind of lesson. Apparently so we can get to the next step in our evolution to Enlightenment.

The quote seems to say we choose or give life it's meaning. But that seems a little fake to me. I mean one can say they are good at certain things and try to figure out what fits and then pick a meaning.  But really!

It doesn't seem like what one does in life matters much. More important to me is what one is. 

Thanks

No matter who writes the book, the book was written by an ego. Whether coming from an 'enlightened' person or not. Some egos are less ignorant than others. But, all egos are egos. If they are claiming to be enlightened, they may be less ignorant than others especially as it pertains to enlightenment, but they are still egos at the end of the day. This is why, I don't think it is best to limit your learning to "only enlightened people" which is basically what you are saying. I think learning from someone who has gone through a great deal of suffering- like suffering through a concentration camp as V. Frankl had- is deeply valuable. Someone who has developed the humility, love, and ability to see past their ego through enormous suffering is something worthy of learning from. I would say, Victor Frankl, being a concentration camp survivor, is definitely one of those people. 

Edited by Gianna

This is one of the books which has been on my to-be-read list for a while. Nice quote. 

Extreme experiences are definitely one thing that let people get to know themselves, as long as they don’t get traumatised. Anyway I agree with @freejoy that it is worthwhile keeping track of books by people that might be enlightened and putting them in a separate category. 

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

@Bodhitree Categorizing your studies is great! But saying that you will only learn from  'enlightened people' (not saying this is what you're saying) is extremely limiting. 

On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, Gianna said:

No matter who writes the book, the book was written by an ego. Whether coming from an 'enlightened' person or not. Some egos are less ignorant than others. But, all egos are egos. If they are claiming to be enlightened, they may be less ignorant than others especially as it pertains to enlightenment, but they are still egos at the end of the day. This is why, I don't think it is best to limit your learning to "only enlightened people" which is basically what you are saying. I think learning from someone who has gone through a great deal of suffering- like suffering through a concentration camp as V. Frankl had- is deeply valuable. Someone who has developed the humility, love, and ability to see past their ego through enormous suffering is something worthy of learning from. I would say, Victor Frankl, being a concentration camp survivor, is definitely one of those people. 

Yes I understand.

Even though he suffered so much, still his ego didn't surrender deep enough to become Enlightened and sit in Bliss or heaven.

I'm not discounting the lesson he learned. Between stimulus and response we have the power to choose.

If I was wanting to learn a skill like running a business I would read maybe something by great business leaders.

I'm just saying the greatest good one can do for the world is to get Enlightened.

@freejoy I see! I agree :) 

11 hours ago, freejoy said:

f I was wanting to learn a skill like running a business I would read maybe something by great business leaders.