Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twoosees

Any counter-intuituve approaches to landing interviews and jobs?.

9 posts in this topic

Hi to the board members

I have an issue in which I am struggling to land a job for some time now since December I have not been called back. I am currently out of college.

I do some freelancing design work like graphic design and illustrations, which has had a bit of a slow start this year.

(Context: Living in South Africa, not attending college anymore)

open to some aspects working in our economy since we are fairly globalized.

I update my cv from time to time and planning to do so this week.

TIA

Have a good portfolio and brute force with volume

Edited by Hello from Russia

@twoosees send the recruiting team some tasty treats and say “there’s more where that came from if you hire me” ??

But for real to answer your question, trying to get hired on somewhere with only a CV is a crapshoot. You have to stand out somehow and it difficult to know what the employer is looking for. And if you’re interested in actualized.orgs ideas and concepts it’s probably not you. They don’t like independent free thinkers with boundaries 

3 minutes ago, Meditationdude said:

@twoosees send the recruiting team some tasty treats and say “there’s more where that came from if you hire me” ??

But for real to answer your question, trying to get hired on somewhere with only a CV is a crapshoot. You have to stand out somehow and it difficult to know what the employer is looking for. And if you’re interested in actualized.orgs ideas and concepts it’s probably not you. They don’t like independent free thinkers with boundaries 

Dude, the guy just wants to find a job/have some good income, he is probably at the start of his journey right now, no one will care about free thinking as long people will find him valuable for their needs

@Meditationdude Haha, thanks for the perspective. I mean yeah maybe for some jobs I should not be overly minded with these ideals of creativity, especially with manual labour and sales. bring it down to earth you know. but truth be told I am looking for a job for finances are in a sham, and I'm of the age to earn and move out. 

@Hello from Russia Thank you for this. I've sabotaged myself for the longest time by not making time to prepare a portfolio. what do you mean by brute force it? Just keep applying for graphic jobs till they can't deny me? 

@twoosees You should be the most open-minded guy when it comes to sales more than anything! This is what helps you to sell more and actually help people in the process. And you can always apply your creativity to solve your client's/employer's problems, people actually reward this very generously, this is how you build great connections and find great opportunities for yourself

By brute force I mean just skyrocket the amount of applications that you send. There is no shortage of entry opportunities in the world. Try sending like 50-100 applications every 3-4 days. Collect feedback and adjust and update your portfolio/messaging every 3-4 days based on the feedback.

If you're at an entry point of your career as a graphic designer and you apply worldwide, you should have a pool of 50 000 + jobs, use it to your advantage

Edited by Hello from Russia

I honestly think having connections in the job field is the best thing. if you have a connection it dumb easy. like a referral 

like a decent/good CV + a good connection is so powerful. its how i got my job and how my friends got good jobs. cuts the process imo 

i thought about just paying someone in the company for a referral 

another thing is opportunity spotting, like if there's specific opportunity in the field that you find, it's dope to take advantage of that and do it. i've found that these opportunities can cause anxiety and doubt about the field because the field has not been properly tread, but you have massive first mover advantage 

also this: 
$.png

Also some more things to note: 

Getting really fucking clear about what the employer is looking for is important. It's easy to sell yourself when you have a project that depicts the exact need of the employer 

I know that psychologically for many people, the process of finding a job can be difficult. But having confidence, trust in yourself, and in the process is key  

just my 2c feel free to disagree or spot errors in my thinking 

Edited by Jacob Morres

@Jacob Morres Noted. Thank you for the breakdown of your points. 

I tend to express myself far too much now, but that is only because it is advised by some resources, but that is because it makes me more authentic. I used to think I'm selling my soul to frame myself in a grunt worker as I adopted this approach. 

However, I see the benefits of a solid portfolio. 

I really do not have anything to disagree on, except for paying for a referral.. is that not corrupt? . if it is rather I see sacrifice and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job, but not sure if my concious is okay with that