Bob Seeker

I'm Trying to Escape Wage Slavery

5 posts in this topic

I'm 23, and I have a certification to coach from iPEC, same program as Leo.

Problem is I'm not that confident or experienced. I've tried marketing myself but didn't get very far. I always change my mind about what I'm aiming for, or quit. I think it is because I feel too weak and inexperienced. I also doubt my passion for coaching.

I am planning to research how I can market to parents to have them pay me to coach their teen/young adult children, but I'm not very confident I will succeed.

I live in an apt. with my older brother, who is a good dude, but very catholic, and dogmatic. I need at least $1,000/month to get by.

I'm currently working part-time at a basic Amazon job and the job absolutely sucks, though I do have some time to work on a business. I want to get out of this job as soon as I can, and feel purpose. 

I have a BA in psychology, and I'm most interested in learning about and changing systems to help evolve society. This is what I'm currently thinking for my Life Purpose.

Starting a business, especially an online business is hard, risky and can take a long time, so I hear. My lack of experience and the pandemic does not help.  

Should I try to make that work?

I'm pretty good at ideating, and I am willing to work hard.

I've thought about providing a local service, but that's not what I'm passionate about, of course. I've also considered trying to display knowledge about my area of purpose to try and win a better job, in the general area of my purpose if possible, but I ultimately want to be an entrepreneur. 

I am pressed for what to do, basically. 

What might you do in my situation?

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Life coaching is usually not suitable for people under 25 because the ROI isn't there and they aren't mature enough to male use of it. It only makes sense to coach people who have good incomes and are serious about optimizing their results.

You might consider tutoring as a way to make ends meet. You can tutor high school and college kids. The is much more practical.

You have to understand that people usually only pay for practical things. It's very challenging to market impractical stuff with low ROI.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Bob Seeker In your situation I would seek a virtual coaching job that I was well qualified for while also working on my independent coaching practice even if it was only doing some brainstorming, planning, and preparation (likely including alot more education). A job like this Student Success Coach ( https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=4bf2c77f2e4285d3&from=serp ) is something I could feel confident in doing and it could give me valuable coaching experience.

As far as a combination of "learning about and changing systems to help evolve society" and coaching, for better or worse I think executive coaching should be your focus. Somewhere out there in the great wide world there are wealthy (this will help you get paid) powerful people running nonprofit and even for-profit companies, as well as levels of government, that actually want someone to help them change systems to evolve society. If you truly become an expert in this field consider offering your services as a consultant and coach. Find the first few of these executives, get evident results and bring excellence in service, and more will find you for the rest of your career. You should not need many of these types of clients at once to have a successful specialized practice like this.

Leo makes excellent points and everything he says is spot on. An independent practice coaching young people as you say is likely a non-starter. Going to work for an institution where the young people you coach are essentially a captured client audience is far more realistic and the paychecks will be steadily predictable. One of the toughest parts of getting a new service business like the one you are suggesting off the ground (I'm assuming you don't have much startup capital) is the rollercoaster of feast or famine cash flow. 

In my opinion 23 is young for a general life coach and very young for an executive coach. Many clients will likely be put off by your age and their perception that you lack experience and the wisdom born of experience. Do what you can, within reason, to look "mature". Consider a beard? Do you wear glasses? Definitely dress professional and mature, old even in a suit and tie or a sweater or turtle neck prehaps, lol. I would draw the line at dying your hair gray or anything deceptive like that. Authenticity is too important.

Work hard, be smart and persistent, and you will find your way in the world.

Makes sense I think. 

Those student success coach jobs are quite competitive and have qualifications I largely don't meet. I've applied to some without success. I may apply to a few more just to stretch it.

Tutoring job sounds feasible. I've applied to some of those also but I can put a better effort in.

As far as Life Purpose, right on, that is along the lines of what I was thinking. 

I can search for other jobs somewhat in that LP ballpark too. 

I still want to start a business on the side that can become profitable in the next few years.

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Keep going. In difficult times, try get out of your head and be present in your body. 
Im on the path of becoming a coach as well. I havent made a single dollar yet but I wont give up. 
I have a really hard time reaching out to ppl, especially by phone while email is way easier. But I dont want to use that because coaching is about relationship building, email isn’t that personal.