Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
7thLetter

So I'm designing a Spiral Dynamics related tattoo, any suggestions?

7 posts in this topic

I'm designing a Spiral Dynamics full sleeve tattoo for myself and need some suggestions. I wanted something done for a while, but I had no idea what.

I've come up with the idea of a Spiral Dynamics tattoo, a compilation of photos in which each layer of photos represent the stages on the spiral. The spiral will move up my arm, starting with stage Biege around my wrist area, then moving up to Turquoise around my shoulder/deltoid area.

In between each stage will most likely be some smoke or some sort of fading effect in order to separate the images.

I've already compiled some photos into one file which I will attach down below. The design is not yet finalized of course and each photo in the compilation below won't be included in the tattoo, most of them are just variants of another or potential ideas that can be included.

Any comments, suggestions for any additions or changes? Mainly looking for help on what to add for Stage Blue & Yellow. Perhaps Purple as well, should I include the wizard fighting a dragon? Or stick to tribal ideas?

Space on my arm is limited so I can only include a few photos per stage. And please no silly suggestions thanks :)

1-min.png

Edited by 7thLetter

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter It's just my opinion, but I think it's a bad idea and you might regret it after you do the tattoo.

1) I don't think that tattooing a bunch of stock photos on your arm will look good. They will look random and all over the place, especially for people who know nothing about SD, but even for those who do. Also since you want to start from the wrist area with beige and, assuming that you are not going to walk around with a naked torso all the time, what you and other people will mostly see will be: hunting, tribes, knights, jesus, money, and hot girls, lol. If anything I would start from the shoulder are and go down your arm, it would not only look better, but also be more logical (roots vs where it's going).

I would rather come up with some unique and creative art that would represent each stage but also look interesting and beautiful without any context. It can also represent both something personal and SD stage, maybe your own journey through spiral dynamics.

2) I am not sure if making a spiral dynamics tattoo is a good idea altogether. It's just a model, no need to attach yourself to it that much.

But again, that's just mine opinion, do whatever you want :) 

Edited by BornToBoil

Sometimes the only thing you have to doubt is your own common sense

@BornToBoil Good points.

29 minutes ago, BornToBoil said:

1) I don't think that tattooing a bunch of stock photos on your arm will look good. They will look random and all over the place, especially for people who know nothing about SD, but even for those who do. Also since you want to start from the wrist area with beige and, assuming that you are not going to walk around with a naked torso all the time, what you and other people will mostly see will be: hunting, tribes, knights, jesus, money, and hot girls, lol. If anything I would start from the shoulder are and go down your arm, it would not only look better, but also be more logical (roots vs where it's going).

Like I mentioned, the design is not yet finalized and obviously the final design won't be a bunch of boxes of stock photos layered out exactly like the compilation I just attached. Most of it will be blended in together, + a lot of it in the background.

This is for me mainly and what is meaningful to me. Plus most people aren't usually inches away from me for them to analyze every single part of my tattoo. People will only see it from a distance for the most part.

Also, most tattoos are just a bunch of random photos put together anyway, I'll attach some examples below.

I think the wrist area for Beige makes more sense. My wrist is a tad bit skinny, so Beige would start there with one small idea/photo then moving up my arm there would be more space for the stages up the spiral. Basically Beige is the less significant stage so it belongs on my tiny wrist with the one caveman hunting photo.

29 minutes ago, BornToBoil said:

I would much rather come up with some unique and creative art that would represent each stage but also look interesting beautiful without any context. It can also represent both something personal and SD stage, maybe your own journey through spiral dynamics.

Well how would that look like? It just makes more sense to have photos as shown in the compilation to represent the stages. To create some unique art would probably end up just being abstract art and won't have anything to do with spiral dynamics.

Tattoo sleeve random photos put together examples:

2.png44a925c42faa2f0a96e9e006d03c4382.jpg

main-qimg-9d63745e6126e8d7b42827729b1a302a.jpg

Edited by 7thLetter

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter  I had this Idea too:)

I was thinking Spiral Dynamics for a Tatoo as a Tree, the Tree of Life.

Something that starts from the roots with the corresponding Color and a twisted trunk that slighty changes colors untill the enlightment.

A good Artist could do a beautiful job with the colors 

Sacred Geometry use red,blue orange green yellow and turqouise