Someone here

What happens in deep sleep?

45 posts in this topic

I don't know, I'm in deep sleep when that happens :'D

Edited by blankisomeone

It seems to be possible to bring awareness even to the deep dreamless sleep state. "Losing" consciousness just happens because the lure of the dream is so strong, just like in the daytime when we are deeply entrenched in thought, we kind of lose awareness.

With enough consistent intention you can become conscious in the dream and even beyond the dream.

When sleeping and attempting to lucid dream I once became lucid in an empty space where there were no dream images. From this empty space I could observe myself creating my dreams in real time. I realized that my mind (in the dream creation process) simply grasps to those images, sensations, memories and ideas that are have the most "pull" to them. It seems to be a completely out of control process, these images just spring up, and for one reason or another a certain world is created in the dream as opposed to different one. Just like when I really observe my thoughts, I sometimes grasp how they are just completely automatically being formed, jumping from one thought to another with no middle man in between.  

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

17 hours ago, m0hsen said:

Bro, We can't continue our discussion if you really deny your own existence in two other states. Just because there's no mind in the other states in your hand that doesn't mean you become non-existence.

It all depends on how you define 'you'... 'exist'.. Etc 

What is for sure is that there is no phenomenonal experience during deep sleep. The only reason you can right now look back at and describe it as an experience or a "state" is because you woke up and you use your memory to analyze.  My point is simply is that there is no consciousness during deep sleep. And by consciousness I mean sight or sound or smell or taste etc. Imagine a deep sleep phase that lasts forever.. In this case it would be like permanent annihilation and no statement can be said about it during it.  

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Have you ever experienced "deep sleep"?

Or is it deep sleep a concept you have about what have happened when you were sleeping?

What if the truth is precisely the true actuality of your direct experience? Which is, there is a present moment in which there appears a bed, a body that jumps on it and close the eyes, and a body that opens them up again and a THOUGHT saying "I have slept 8 hours and now it's morning".

Notice how all of this phenomena appears in the present moment. 

Notice what happened in direct experience and what not. A thought of deep sleep appeared, yet it didn't appeared a direct experience of deep sleep. Which is precisely why you are asking what happens on it or what is it. You have no direct experience of it.