Extreme Z7

A Model To Help Artists Gain More Satisfaction From Their Work

5 posts in this topic

I have developed a model for how an artist finds joy in their work which can be used to help focus their attention on the areas of the work that brings them the most joy. Basically, in my model there are 5 main values and generally speaking, you should find joy in at least one of these values. Not all 5 values should necessarily be fulfilled and focused on and not all artists are able to recognize which values will actually bring them the most joy and this can lead them to trouble especially when they work so hard to achieve a value that doesn't even make them happy. So an artist's goal is to be able to pinpoint the values that fulfills their particular individuality for greater satisfaction with their work,

So what are the 5 values in this model? Well, here they are: (And remember, I could change aspects of this model in the future)

• Originality - The ability to create based on one's authentic self.
  • Creativity - The desire to explore 'uncharted territory'.
  • Skill - A pursuing of gradual mastery.
  • Playfulness - An inherent enjoyment of creating the art itself.
  • Community - A willingness to use art to bond with other people.

What I found in myself, based on this model, is that I've been pursuing Skill for quite some time and it never actually gave me that much joy. I actually end up feeling more negative emotions whenever my goal is to try to impress people with the quality of my art especially with the knowledge that there so many artists out there who are way better than me. Now, this does not mean I will no longer try to improve my skills, I still do but I don't want it to be my main focus anymore. My main focus should have been Playfulness! I feel much better about my art habit whenever I just focus on the creative process itself and not get caught up about being worrying about making mistakes. Secondary for me is probably Community, I love to share my artwork with other people but I still have a problem with shyness and insecurity that's holding me back slightly from pursuing this value. But I still love to do it anyway so I'm not going to deny myself this value.

When I think about it again. You can also place numbered ranks unto the values to see which value should take more significance over others. So mine will be:

1. Playfulness
  2. Community
  3. Creativity
  4. Originality
  5. Skill

The overall assessment of one's values using this model varies from artist to artist. I believe that artists who are not able to recognize their own personal hierarchy of values and views them as all equal are more likely to encounter difficulties and motivation problems involving their work. Note that this is only a model I alone created, I have no idea how this model would fare in the real world and among artistic communities but I found that it definitely worked for me so why not give it a shot if you're also a creative type? :)

I love this model and i will apply it to my creativity!!!!!!

On 10/9/2016 at 10:11 AM, Extreme Z7 said:

I have developed a model for how an artist finds joy in their work which can be used to help focus their attention on the areas of the work that brings them the most joy. Basically, in my model there are 5 main values and generally speaking, you should find joy in at least one of these values. Not all 5 values should necessarily be fulfilled and focused on and not all artists are able to recognize which values will actually bring them the most joy and this can lead them to trouble especially when they work so hard to achieve a value that doesn't even make them happy. So an artist's goal is to be able to pinpoint the values that fulfills their particular individuality for greater satisfaction with their work,

So what are the 5 values in this model? Well, here they are: (And remember, I could change aspects of this model in the future)

• Originality - The ability to create based on one's authentic self.
  • Creativity - The desire to explore 'uncharted territory'.
  • Skill - A pursuing of gradual mastery.
  • Playfulness - An inherent enjoyment of creating the art itself.
  • Community - A willingness to use art to bond with other people.

What I found in myself, based on this model, is that I've been pursuing Skill for quite some time and it never actually gave me that much joy. I actually end up feeling more negative emotions whenever my goal is to try to impress people with the quality of my art especially with the knowledge that there so many artists out there who are way better than me. Now, this does not mean I will no longer try to improve my skills, I still do but I don't want it to be my main focus anymore. My main focus should have been Playfulness! I feel much better about my art habit whenever I just focus on the creative process itself and not get caught up about being worrying about making mistakes. Secondary for me is probably Community, I love to share my artwork with other people but I still have a problem with shyness and insecurity that's holding me back slightly from pursuing this value. But I still love to do it anyway so I'm not going to deny myself this value.

When I think about it again. You can also place numbered ranks unto the values to see which value should take more significance over others. So mine will be:

1. Playfulness
  2. Community
  3. Creativity
  4. Originality
  5. Skill

The overall assessment of one's values using this model varies from artist to artist. I believe that artists who are not able to recognize their own personal hierarchy of values and views them as all equal are more likely to encounter difficulties and motivation problems involving their work. Note that this is only a model I alone created, I have no idea how this model would fare in the real world and among artistic communities but I found that it definitely worked for me so why not give it a shot if you're also a creative type? :)

This is great information, thank you!

Here are my random thoughts, in no particular order, that came to my mind as reading your post :

How it work for me:
1. beauty / joy
2. elegance / simplicity
3. consciousness / awareness

I think that originality is just a reflect of what's you've experienced,
the brain acting like a sponge, you can associate ideas to create new ones,
on a conscious or subconscious level.

Dealing with the subconscious is so much important for me, when it comes to the creative process.
And when I mean creative process I don't just mean "sit down and do the work" but thinking about it continually all days long, and dreaming about it at night (Hopefully I'll reach the 10,000 hours faster that way^^ but it's not my goal). I don't know why I'm like that, but it is just the way my subconscious work : thinking about it all the time (my project/skill/product).

Even if I fall in procrastination/victimization/limited-beliefs traps all the time, I always reach the point where I keep going and learn.
In fact, I think that if I couldn't do it, I would just quit modern busy lifestyle and take a long retreat in a monk monastery or in mountains (anyway I'll do that after I accomplished my task on music).

There are no way to say it (yes they are, but it is very naïve/innocent and can seems silly), but in this communication area, emotions wins.

KOAN Sound : Lost In Thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCH4gGillI

Hey Lyle, did you purchased/ the life purpose course ?