Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charlie cho

reddit upvote downvote

10 posts in this topic

I posted something on the "writing" sub forum, but people were disagreeing with my post left and right to the point these "writers" downvoted me a lot. I really liked being downvoted. I felt proud of myself for being able to withstand pressure and not be wavered by other's opinions. But here's the real problem. I was in this judo subforum, and they wouldn't let me post anything because I had bad karma. Like what? Just because I have low status on Reddit, makes me not able to post anything? 

It felt like I shouldn't post anything that people will disagree with me just because I wanted to stay in the Judo Forum. Is this system working out? 

Yeah that's how it's supposed to work. It helps in filtering out the lowest quality posts, spammers, scammers, trolls, edge-lords etc. If everyone is downvoting you, it is more likely to be because the post was low quality, not necessarily because people disagree. It might not be because of that in your case, but you are getting lumped in with the low quality posters by the algorithm.

I really don't recommend using a public forum such as reddit as a training ground for developing your pressure handling skills or something. At least not if you want to engage there in any meaningful way. Try to reflect on if you are bringing any value to others with what you post there, that will help you in other areas of life too.

Are you sharing a unique perspective that is somewhat well structured? Are you asking a unique question that hasn't been answered already? These are the type of questions you can think about if you want to have meaningful conversations online. 

Even with this post, I am not totally sure what exactly you are asking and what it has to do with self-actualization, which leads to a situation where you are less likely to get a meaningful reply from someone. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

I asked: does this system work out well?

is that really true? PEople downvote you because they think it is low quality? Everybody has different perspectives on what "quality" is. I think it's dangerous to make most people judge what high quality and low quality is 

I wrote a detailed review on a 3D printer on a 3D printing subforum, I was shadowbanned for having 0 karma.

I never wrote another message on Reddit and don't intend to. The karma system is just bad.

@charlie cho

They dont downvote your for making a low quality post, they downvote you because they disagree with you and want to have opinions reflecting their ideas appear on the top of comment list.

Edited by Hansu

@Hansu i hate how i sometimes cannot think for myself, and i have to get someone to tell what is right for me.

I always knew there was something fishy about the reddit karma system. It felt like going on a cult and saying shit they hate and they will raid on you for not saying what they want to hear

2 hours ago, charlie cho said:

It felt like going on a cult and saying shit they hate and they will raid on you for not saying what they want to hear

That's blind democracy for you. Its easy to hate someone when all you can see about them is their name and text, maybe an avatar. This is why I don't generally like up and downvote systems. Upvotes are okay, when they don't dictate who's comment gets the best spots in the discussion.

@TheAlchemist it would be great if people downvoted because they thought it did not contribute to the conversation. I feel like in my experience, people don't really care about high or low quality. They downvote with their emotions, downvoting because they disagree or upvote because they agree. Some people may do it righteously, but 80% of the people are not like that.

18 hours ago, charlie cho said:

I posted something on the "writing" sub forum, but people were disagreeing with my post left and right to the point these "writers" downvoted me a lot. I really liked being downvoted. I felt proud of myself for being able to withstand pressure and not be wavered by other's opinions. But here's the real problem. I was in this judo subforum, and they wouldn't let me post anything because I had bad karma. Like what? Just because I have low status on Reddit, makes me not able to post anything? 

It felt like I shouldn't post anything that people will disagree with me just because I wanted to stay in the Judo Forum. Is this system working out? 

I can't fathom this - why people on reddit think that a person can have a single account for the their entire life? And if one is downvoted, then it as if his life becomes more and more ruined.

Man, create 10, 100 accounts on reddit and post there whatever you like, anywhere. You've never known that it's allowed and possible?

I create a new one every other day, it takes me 5 seconds, while hearing idiots who tell me meanwhile "I'll down vote you and your life will go downhills!".

Edited by rnd

@rnd it's that easy to create a new account? I don't consider my life to go downhills because of reddit. I just really liked posting on the judo subforum. I didn't expect, however, that posting something on the writing subforum would stop me from posting on the other one. 

Can't you be bothered creating a new account everytime?

And who in the world of reddit would actually say "I'll downvote you and your life will go downhill." Do people actually say that on Reddit? If it's true. That's fucked up.