Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BartekD

Advice on which opportunity to pursue

3 posts in this topic

Hey yall, im in a bit of a pickle and it was all self created so I take full responsibility but I would like to hear your points of view on this situation and how to best handle it.

I became a mobile dev so that I could work less (from home and at whatever time I wanted) and work on my true passions as well as follow my natural curiosity. Now,  I have almost too many passions which is why I'm in this pickle.

I decided to start a project with some friends, this project is something that I'm not too passionate about but it seemed fun to work with friends on a creative idea as I've never been in this position before. As well as make money from it. I usually had to work because survival demanded it so I wanted to see how it goes.

Before starting this project I was making stuff that I knew I would make no money from like binaural beats and custom wim hof breathing sessions as well as other guided apps. I made this stuff because I genuinely wanted to and its stuff that I do anyway and I found the market was missing or it was behind a pay wall. 

That being said I'm now realizing that I'm not very interested in the project that I am working on with friends. And I know it might seem obvious to drop the project but im the one that convinced them to start the project with me. I also see how long it will take to truly make this happen. I'm talking a year or more. If we do it quickly. And ill be working on this while meditating, working out, working a full time job, and trying to keep a decent sleep schedule.

I understand im in a privileged situation but just wanted to hear yall perspective. Continue working on this project and see if I develop a like for it. Or drop it and continue doing stuff for the sake having fun 

Sounds like you may have bitten off more than you could chew, and that, for exploratory projects, smaller bets/projects would be better since you're not committing hugely to something which may or may not be of interest.  

I guess it also depends on how much work is involved and how much of an inconvenience it is.  The way i heard it was that it was a large inconvenience, and that now you feel sorta trapped

I think I'd tell them honestly how you feel and what you want.  If they are friends, I'm sure they'd understand.  I wouldn't do it from guilt and sacrifice all that time and energy just to please others.  This may backfire in the long run as resentment and stress will build.

I'd say, ideally, try to do something like it but on a much smaller scale.  Like 3 months max... maybe even 1 month.  Maybe it'll be a slightly different project, but try to keep the part of it you're interested in exploring the same (for this one it sounds like you're most interested in doing a project with friends).  

You could also see if your friends would be ok with you doing it part-time or only for a month, or something you feel is good for you.

Also, it sounds like your other breathing and beats projects are things you're more excited about.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@BartekD Life is too short to be doing something you aren't passionate about. Follow your heart. If you feel that doing this is representing Who You Are, then do it. If you feel obligation and resistance about it, then let it go.

"Search your feelings... you know it to be true."