Birdcage

What Motivates Action ?

24 posts in this topic

@Lawrence very eye opening. Thank you for that:) 

I went on watched some of his other videos on the site. There is not much but still awesome. I absolutely love this guy. 

I think I'm more on the becoming side instead of being side. Being is my peace but becoming is what makes me fulfilled. I feel more in touch with the universe while I'm in action and mobile. The funny thing is, i don't get tired. The more energy i spent, the more i have. I guess you could say I'm very extroverted. I love talking, listening, I can talk to complete strangers and find common ground very soon and feel very comfortable doing that  

And it felt great to know that becoming and action is also valid. 

I currently am reading his book about the 'power of now'. Not so sure about the name translation because I read it in my own language. 

I'm sure I will come back with more questions :)

On 01/10/2016 at 6:21 PM, Lawrence said:
On 29/09/2016 at 3:55 PM, FindingPeace said:

And, interestingly, have you noticed how the anticipation of a goal or action is actually more interesting and exciting than the action it self. And the hindsight of the action is even less interesting and exciting.

This is so true!

The irony is that experiences in life seem to work ass-backwards. We go through life chasing experiences with the expectation that they in some way add value to our lives. Yet the process of having an experience actually results in a fairly unfulfilling memory of the event after a fulfilling anticipation of it. So our emotional response to any experience goes from positive through to neutral. Whereas we are actually chasing the exact opposite in life - we want things to come in to our lives and have a lasting effect. Which is the unfortunate irony and a myth. Because nothing lasts in reality. Especially the gratification we seek in our actions and experiences.

This sort of answers the question 'What motivates action'. The expecation of lasting gratification and reward. Which, unfortunately, is a fallacy.

How many actions in life leave have left you with a lasting sense of gratification?

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

10 hours ago, Birdcage said:

@Lawrence very eye opening. Thank you for that:) 

I went on watched some of his other videos on the site. There is not much but still awesome. I absolutely love this guy. 

I think I'm more on the becoming side instead of being side. Being is my peace but becoming is what makes me fulfilled. I feel more in touch with the universe while I'm in action and mobile. The funny thing is, i don't get tired. The more energy i spent, the more i have. I guess you could say I'm very extroverted. I love talking, listening, I can talk to complete strangers and find common ground very soon and feel very comfortable doing that  

And it felt great to know that becoming and action is also valid. 

I currently am reading his book about the 'power of now'. Not so sure about the name translation because I read it in my own language. 

I'm sure I will come back with more questions :)

That's really awesome to know! Glad you like Eckhart Tolle =)

I know what you mean when you say you feel more fulfilled by taking action and creating things.

I also love the fact that nothing ultimately matters and it's just a play of form for us to participate in and explore the beauty of the game.

Being brought up into this world where society imposes all the pressures on you and expects so much,  I always thought that I had to do something.

I felt like we get conditioned to think that the world is more serious and meaningful that it actually is.

So that's why I love the being side of things. I can just rest back into my natural, authentic beingness which knows no inadequacy, is already complete and at one with this thing we call "life." 

It's important that we have a balance between being & doing as you now know =)

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

Eckhart Tolle is definitely the shit if you are into personal developement.

Most people think he's just some weird spiritual teacher, but he's so much more than that.

In my mind, he will have a greater impact than the Buddha had, because he's doing exactly what the Buddha did (with a lot of exposure), the direct and no bullshit approach of what reality/presence/consciousness/enlightenment work is.

And you can SEE that he's not lying, or that he's after money, you can litterally see it on his face if you listen to him talking.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them