Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tanuj

Meditation Messing Up Gym

13 posts in this topic

This is my first post on this forum, so first I want to say that Leo has changed my life, and his videos are amazing, so thanks for that man. I have been meditating for about 1 and a half months now consistently following Leo's guided meditation and Do Nothing technique and have seen amazing results in such a short time frame. I am much more aware of my thoughts and emotions on a daily basis, and this has led me to become much calmer and relaxed. The issue is that I am starting to feel hollow inside. For example, today a few hours ago I was feeling stressed after studying for a big exam so I decided to do a quick 10 minute meditation session to relax my mind. Clearly it worked, and I got this incredible sense of calmness and relaxation. It was a feeling that just made me so relaxed and at ease, as if nothing in the world mattered. I basically had no emotions and even though I still knew who I was, it kind of felt like a dream. So after this quick meditation I went to the gym hoping to crush some weights. Unfortunately, this meditative state was still present and I could not lift as heavy. I did not have that anger or aggression that I usually had, so I could not lift as heavy. (For those of you that lift you will understand what I am talking about). My question is how do I not let meditation take away this aggression to lift heavy, and if I ever become enlightened will I still be able to lift weights with a strong aggression? Thanks and hope to hear some interesting replies. Also does anyone know what I experienced, I know it was a very weak experience but it lasted about 3 hours and made me feel oddly hollow inside but a very inner sense of calm. It wasn't like inner happiness or peace but more so just a wave of calm that would not go away. 

@Tanuj

Meditation seems like its working for you, it does not work for everybody, so you are lucky.

I would just leave the meditation for another time (early evening?) for when you dont need that aggressive energy at your disposal.  You can manage these two different energies consciously if you understand them and know what activities augment them.

also, I would not worry about little things like this after one day.  Maybe if it was actually disrupting your life on a consistent basis then you might have grounds to worry.  But one day after feeling a little different from meditation is nothing to worry about. 

Edited by kurt

@kurt Thanks, I'll try that it seems like solid advice. Has meditation given you any results? If not, what are you doing instead of it? 

27 minutes ago, Tanuj said:

My question is how do I not let meditation take away this aggression to lift heavy, and if I ever become enlightened will I still be able to lift weights with a strong aggression?

Meditation and martial arts can go together, I have doubts about lifting weights. 

3 minutes ago, Tanuj said:

@kurt Thanks, I'll try that it seems like solid advice. Has meditation given you any results? If not, what are you doing instead of it? 

You said you felt stressed after an exam?  For stress I dont use meditation, meditation is not really suitable for stress management IMHO.  I do things like visualisation, for example I close my eyes and imagine an open shopping bag in front of me where I continue to put all my thoughts, stresses and most importantly the results I hope to get into the bag, close it when I'm done and give it to the situation I'm stressed about.  A simple analysis of circumstances will reveal that stress doesn't actually do anything, it can't affect the result, therefore it's pointless and can be let go of as a non value of mine.  Replace it with a positive value (thought) and just keep assimilating this process until you no longer worry and the positive reaction has replaced it fully.

its funny because i lift weights at the gym, and whenever im done lifting and about to do my rest.. i put myself in that meditative Conscientiousness and zone in and feel my body and my heart pumping at the same time just gives me a huge rush. Forcing myself into that meditative state after doing a set is such a nice feeling, you feel so dialed in to everything around you.

Edited by Rashid

8 minutes ago, blazed said:

Is your gym work ego driven? Want to be fit for the ladies and show off? Want to overpower other men by strength, etc?

Easy tiger!

That's not ego.  That's just life happening, for specific types and ages.  Perfectly normal and ok.  The ego is the part of the mind that lays claim to all of this and makes value judgements based on it.  Let the boy do what he needs to do and run the natural course of his twenties, priorities will change in time.

1 hour ago, blazed said:

In one of Leo's benefits of enlightenment videos he talks about how you will realise what's really important to and what's not, you'll start to chase after things you are truely passionate about. I think this might be one of those cases.

You don't need anger to push weights, the same way you don't need anger in a fighting match, that's why the term "keep your head cool" comes up a lot in such sports.

Good points actually. I'd like to elaborate on that and suggest a revision of values for the OP if this is the case. Well spotted! ?

You dont need agression to lift heavy and personally after reading arnold Schwarzenegger s book called arnold the education of a bodybuilder he taught me that correct form is much more important than lifting heavy and being in a meditative state at the gym is excellent because u will be more in ur body and less in ur head and it will help u feel ur muscles @Tanuj

7 hours ago, kurt said:

Good points actually. I'd like to elaborate on that and suggest a revision of values for the OP if this is the case. Well spotted! ?

Well, I basically decided to lift weights because it increases confidence, makes me more fit, and helps me become a more well-rounded person. I don't think I did it for lower self reasons, but more so higher self reasons. I think any decision to better yourself is egoic, because without the ego there is no one to become better. :)

5 hours ago, mikeyy said:

You dont need agression to lift heavy and personally after reading arnold Schwarzenegger s book called arnold the education of a bodybuilder he taught me that correct form is much more important than lifting heavy and being in a meditative state at the gym is excellent because u will be more in ur body and less in ur head and it will help u feel ur muscles @Tanuj

Yeah, I think either going into a meditative state while lifting or avoiding meditation close to a workout will be my best options for me.