Username

Trauma after a physical assault

6 posts in this topic

It happened to me to be attacked by a group of people two times. First time they attempted rob me. I was kicked in my head but somehow I managed to scare them away. I just got a tiny graze on my cheek. The second time I was in a wrong place and a larger group of people confused me with someone else. Luckily I was able to escape to a safe place.

It didn't happen early in my life, so I wasn't building my personality around those events. It's not a big deal but sometimes I tend to freeze when I see two or more potentially aggressive males. This makes me a potential victim because I might look scared - in reality I'm mentally preparing for a fight.

Any ideas how to become more comfortable in such situations? I heard about methods in which victim has to relive traumatic situation - in my case nothing wrong actually happened o.O

Edited by Username

@Username Sorry that happened to you. 

I was assaulted 2 times in my neighborhood by a group of ppl as a kid (first time- 1 girl and 2 guys, second time- 3 guys). 

It took a bit of time to recover psychologically, but it didn't have lasting effects really. They all were just bullies having fun slapping me (a young girl) around while I was out by myself on my bike. I wasn't even 10 yet. 

The second time i lived around the corner, I ran home, me and my dad went out in the car looking for the guys. We found them...lol. I'll leave it at that!

6 hours ago, Username said:

Any ideas how to become more comfortable in such situations?

Come to realize you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it makes you feel better take a self defense class or maybe karate?

Just recently I started carrying a pocket knife, because I felt vulnerable for a few reasons. Anyways, it makes me feel better that I could defend myself if needed.

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

20 hours ago, Username said:

It happened to me to be attacked by a group of people two times. First time they attempted rob me. I was kicked in my head but somehow I managed to scare them away. I just got a tiny graze on my cheek. The second time I was in a wrong place and a larger group of people confused me with someone else. Luckily I was able to escape to a safe place.

It didn't happen early in my life, so I wasn't building my personality around those events. It's not a big deal but sometimes I tend to freeze when I see two or more potentially aggressive males. This makes me a potential victim because I might look scared - in reality I'm mentally preparing for a fight.

Any ideas how to become more comfortable in such situations? I heard about methods in which victim has to relive traumatic situation - in my case nothing wrong actually happened o.O

Did this recently happen?  If so perhaps the neighborhood or places you visit arent that safe and its good that your prepared now and ready to act.

Freezing is a normal response when our nervous system detects a threat and we feel like we can't escape. 

Trauma dysregulates the nervous system and we usually can't think our way out of it through rationality, affirmations and so on. The stuck "energy" from the fear and so on needs to be completely felt, processed and sometimes expressed. 

The best way to do this as far as I know is in a safe therapy setting and I would reccomend a somatic experiencing practitioner or at least a trauma informed therapist. 

This will allow you to relax and allow these feelings to come to the surface in small doses so you can hold space for them and bring your nervous system back to a regulated state. 

Good luck! 

@Username I would take some boxing or muay thai classes if I were you or something else that offers you an opportunity to experience a fight in a safe environment. It's more about learning to overcome the pressure of facing an opponent in a real situation than about learning how to fight. For that reason I don't think that something like karate or most self-defence classes are the best options since they won't give you that real battle experience.

Edited by BornToBoil

Sometimes the only thing you have to doubt is your own common sense