BornToBoil

What is the best way to help a country to develop?

27 posts in this topic

Some time ago I asked if it was worth it to try and help a developing country to grow 

But does anyone have any thoughts on what is actually the best way to do that: getting into politics, creating a social business or an NGO, becoming an opinion leader?

Also what is the most important think to focus on: education, poverty elimination, environment and infrastructure, combating corruption?

I know that it depends a lot on a specific country and there is no uniform solution, but there should be more and less effective ways, right?

Sometimes the only thing you have to doubt is your own common sense

Develop yourself until you realize you are god. Once you are God knowingly you’ll realize it doesn’t matter and create a more loving reality ? 

@Mannyb to be honest, I hoped for something more practical. I think realizing that you are God and becoming enlightened isn't mutually exclusive with having a life purpose and doing helping people in a more down to earth way.

Also, you wouldn't be saying that if you were born without a possiblity to ever realize that you are god or even to start thinking about your spuritual needs because of the environment you were born in.

@BornToBoil It doesn’t get more practical. Enlightenment’s literally your sole life’s purpose as man. That’s why I am telling you to get to it. Your own self realization is the greatest service you can render the world. - Ramana Maharshi You know it’s true. Namaste my beloved Self. 

Edited by Mannyb

@Mannyb @Mannyb 

I don't know. It's hard for me to understand that kind of logic since I am not yet enlightened.

But again, I am not saying that I am not going to work on enlightenment. And I don't see why I can't do both at the same time.

I hope I don't get flamed for saying this, but the Bill Gates foundation has done some wonderful work in this respect. We have also made enormous progress since 1990. John Green is another thoughtful person well worth following.

If you have the option to travel to a developing nation, no doubt this would help you to feel clarity on your life purpose. :)

@No Self  thanks I will check this guy out he seems nice )

I actually just made a presentation about a scientific article on millenium development goals and social entrepreneurship for my thesis project. I love when little coincidences like this happen :)

6 hours ago, BornToBoil said:

But does anyone have any thoughts on what is actually the best way to do that: getting into politics, creating a social business or an NGO, becoming an opinion leader?

All the above and a million more ways.

Society is not made better by one thing. It takes the collective effort of millions of people working in millions of ways. Pick YOUR way.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I guess I already did. I really want to create some really neat business that is not only profitable but contributes to the society a lot. But sometimes I get this thought that I need to become a president or someone of that level to really make an impact. Which I guess is stupid if you think about it.

@BornToBoil Bussiness is a good idea. You can look at the B Corporations movement for some guidance on how to set up a conscious one.

I am basically chipping at the same problem, as having an impact is a value I hold dearly.

I have started with learning engineering to be able to support the green energy revolution, but then realized I don't want to spend my whole life behind the screen in CAD software and Excel spreadsheets. So I switched to Management with a thought to work in the future in the European Union political structures or end up with a Ph.D., but studying it at the University forced me to realize that following a beaten path and conform is not for me either. I am now left with pursuing conscious business ideas. I will gladly share with you any breakthrough I get.

In the meantime, I invite you to read my thread on brainstorming conscious business ideas, some people have already contributed there their insightful thoughts ;)

Edited by Girzo

Building various kind of infrastructure can be one way of the best ways, people need systems that systematically help them at something

@Girzo thanks for your response. Yeah, I have been looking at b corporations myself and even focusing some university assignments on them.

That's an awesome thread I will definitely read it, thanks )

Edited by BornToBoil

@Hello from Russia yeah, I agree, but sadly I haven't got any great ideas yet. Luckly I still have plenty of time )

@Girzo I was thinking about getting into politics first, but then I understoond that I would hate all those formalities, restrictions on how I should behave, and external accountability.

@BornToBoil You might get interested in the Effective Altruism movement. https://80000hours.org/ does a good job of explaining the concept. It was they who pushed me in the direction of getting interested in how NGOs work, etc.

Yeah, I am too independent-minded to do well in political structures, it seems you are like that as well. I dream of there being more organizations with alternative, progressive workplaces, like the ones described in "Reinventing Organizations", which is a book applying Spiral Dynamics to organizational science.

@Girzo wow, thanks for sharing so many amazing resources with me! They will be a lot of help in my life purpose work for sure :D

@BornToBoil  at the same point. I think we need to spread better ideas, possibilities but make it cool and trendy. Focus on youth, and entwined with technology. 

I was born in, and escaped a third world, meant to never look back.  Here's what I've thought about lately. Education, politics, a line of health foods and a really exciting NGO is my master plan. Luckily it's just 1.5 million on the island, wink. 

Some thoughts I jotted on it,

- Find and groom the Future president with Turquoise values. 10-15 year plan 

Starting a religion 5 year

Starting a philosophy school, 5 year

Taking on the sugar and oil industry, 3year

Taking on the crap music Industries, 3year

Let's set 5 year goals and collide 

@Acche You are a one ambitious mf haha. You will need Arnold Schwarzenegger's willpower times ten to achieve all your goals in a single lifetime. Nevertheless, I wish you success on your journey. xD