Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shunyata

question about Megalomania

13 posts in this topic

what resources would you recommend to read on this topic? what insights have you had about megalomania in humans? I would really love to learn more about that. Is it coming from the inferiority complex which is inherent to virtually all egos? Thanks.

Stay cool & dry.

Are all narcissistic people megalomaniac? And so is every ego technically megalomaniac?

Edited by Shunyata

Stay cool & dry.

My understanding is that the phenomenon is narcissism that evolves into a sort of ego-worshipping religion, plus opportunities to amass a proper cult following. I think about David Koresh, Jim Jones, Pol Pot, etc. (Yes, I think Wikipedia is a worthy source for research. Forgive me.)

It could be said that megalomaniac is the ego taken to the absolute extreme. As such there is a teaching in it, as we are all capable of this behaviour.

@No Self I understand it that way also pretty much.

As long as we have any internalized self images we have some degree of narcissism. The more one can taste (experience) Witness consciousness the freer one is from narcissism.

Meglomaniacs push it to pathological narcissism because of their extreme insecurity.

By the way, I heard that David Koresh's last words were - "Is it hot in here or am I crazy?

Yeah, I know. That's a horrible joke.,,,

Fundamental and Pathological Narcissism

Fundamental narcissism, the specific and most central manifestation of the disconnection from the essential core of the self, the Presence of being, underlies all other forms of narcissism. Pathological narcissism is a distortion or an exaggeration of fundamental narcissism. Fundamental narcissism is an intrinsic property of the ego-self, which is the self as experienced in the dimension of conventional experience. 

The Point of Existence, pg. 91 - A.H. Almaas

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/narcissism

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Zigzag Idiot thank you. Shunyamurti said that we can't let go of our ego because we are really in love with our self image. Does that mean that one has to have some sense of disgust over the ugliness of the ego in order to get liberated?

Edited by Shunyata

Stay cool & dry.

@Shunyata  maybe in a sense,,, Developing the capacity for being passive to our own reactions or reactivity. Doing true self observation which is uncritical and having to stand in the middle of what we observe without going into justifications or berating ourself will increase ones degree of being faster than anything is what I was taught. Fourth Way stuff,,,

Developing the capacity for Witness consciousness is a good aim.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
Last sentence

Yes, to a degree, but it's arduous. Not easy at all. 

Gurdjieff refereed to it as "good cooking". ? 

Grandiose narcissism is a trait-construct that involves the inability to hear criticism and a commitment only to oneself. It is associated with Narcissistic Personality Disorder when expressed at a pathological level — one of the most dangerous personality disorders.

Vulnerable narcissism is a trait-construct that involves the over-reaction to criticism and is usually a defense mechanism to protect low self esteem. It is associated with Borderline Personality Disorder when expressed at a pathological level.

5 hours ago, Shunyata said:

@Zigzag Idiot thank you. Shunyamurti said that we can't let go of our ego because we are really in love with our self image. Does that mean that one has to have some sense of disgust over the ugliness of the ego in order to get liberated?

That would explain why dark night comes before a cessation, which will eventually lead to Liberation in the traditional sense of the word(when you experience enough cessations).

(You find literally everything disgusting during dark night)

Basically - you're right.