levani

addicted to sugar / food

9 posts in this topic

one of my long due endeavours is to see my abdominals. i have like no discipline, i am genuinely addicted to sugar/food and every time i try to quit it i end up yin yanging back to the starting point (20-25 % bodyfat). my goal is to be 8-10% at least once in my life, but hopefully maintain it and from what "science" shows i just have to eat less calories but not too much in a deficit otherwise it gets unrealistic no matter how much desire you have to lose weight, so basically slow and steady. the problem is i keep thinking about food ∵ i have nothing else to do, lowest i ever went to is 89kg and i could almost see my abs but not quite. I heard the best way to get rid of an addiction is to replace is with another addiction (hedonistic ->eudaemonistic) Any advise is appreciated

Watch this atleast a couple of times. 

Or until you get it. 

Edited by Opo

In my experience just switching to not processed whole foods will bring in a lot of the results. Not counting calories or doing any of that. A diet filled with lots of veggies and fruit. I could eat as much veggies and fruit as I can and still be lean.

Addictions to things like sugar can be a bit hard to overcome. I found it easier with myself to just find substitutes of things with natural sugars. I was able to lose 50-60 pounds in what seemed like less than a year. It was a gradual change with a lot of exercise though too. The result speed is going to vary by what you put into it. 

Also, I should say I have managed to keep my results for a few years. Without any need to revert back to eating crappy. It takes a few months of dedication to get your taste buds adjusted to healthy foods. I love the taste of fruits and veggies now. I have seen success with various fasts speeding up that process to get it to taste better. 

This one is good with the video above:

Edited by Average Investor

@Opo thank you bro

@Average Investor bro that's crazy good advise, i bought a load of bananas, apples and grapes, and i think i feel them filling me up way more than the bad sugars, i think even the bad sugars may have additives that make you keep coming back to them.

I'm going to do this from now on, way more vegetables and fruits, maybe a mix between the two, let's see what works for me. And I will watch the video either tonight or tomorrow, thank you very much bro !

@levani Thanks! I am happy to hear this helped you. It has worked great for me!

I am going to do a few write up on some healthy meals too. I actually have a good one here so far: 

I am going to do a write up on a smoothie, dinner, and a breakfast soon. You might be able to use those a resource to construct a good diet. Of course you want to find your own things that work too. 

@Average Investor i just subscribed to it, and i'm watching that vid for the 2nd time now, it's crazy how counter intuitive it is. Next time i get a craving i'm gonna go into it with as much awareness as humanly possible (for me)

@levani I was able to use this technique to quite nicotine too. If you can try to get get some awareness around what you are feeling while you indulge. This emotion might be the root cause of what is driving you to do it. You could be able to combat it much easier that way too. 

I did this a bit ago because I had started gaming after about a year off. Once, I realized that I was suppressing sadness and not the fun I imagined I stopped playing. I won't never play again, but for now it is back on the back burner. I feel a lot better without it.  

@Average Investor interesting ... i'm gonna start another thread ∵ I am not entirely sure I understand the balance between discipline & awareness