Cammy

Be aware of every thought

8 posts in this topic

What is being aware of a thought?

I'm always given extreme examples of addiction and murder being caused by thoughts.

What about insignificant thoughts like "my black hoodie needs ironed"?? 

Do I need to be aware of that thought.

You don't need to be aware of any thought. You are the awareness itself. You can notice thoughts as they arise, even play with them, but don't be defined by them.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 31/10/2020 at 9:25 AM, Cammy said:

What is being aware of a thought?

I'm always given extreme examples of addiction and murder being caused by thoughts.

What about insignificant thoughts like "my black hoodie needs ironed"?? 

Do I need to be aware of that thought.

Being aware of thought is the passivity to just observe any activity of mind. 

All activity of mind could be considered a thought, since all activity is constituted by a conceptual narrative.

So in that sense, being aware of thought is just the ability to observe the “story” the “monologue” the “voice” which occupies the mind at any given moment, irrespective of what it is. You may come to notice these occupy experience almost always and that all thoughts are fundamentally arbitrary (random/groundless). There is no objective ground from which to judge them, categorise or become entangled with them.

They are simply inert images that are given their meaning by virtue of the minds desire. So it is meaning that is more important to explore than just the presence of thoughts. This is what distinguishes what subsequent actions will follow. 

This is my interpretation of them anywho.

Edited by Jacobsrw

@Cammy initially yes, because you want to become aware of all the thoughts that normally slip by, the ones that lead to frustration, to anger, to Paranoia or even just the trains of thoughts that’s distract you, etc. if you make it a habit to be aware of whatever thoughts are in your head, you will also be aware of all those nasty thoughts, and if you catch them before they take hold, you remain the observer of them, not being controlled by them.

being aware of thoughts will eventually become like an echo in your mind, and with that echo will come the echo of yourself, if you are still enough to notice it.

Edited by Spaceofawareness

How can "you" be unaware of your thoughts? Awareness doesn't need thoughts, but thoughts and awareness of them is a package deal. Its just that you, as you take yourself to be, is not the one who is "doing the awareness".

14 hours ago, Cammy said:

@Jacobsrw thanks jacob!

Anytime! Hope it made sense, sometimes I write with incoherence ?