Rilles

Spiral Insights

91 posts in this topic

Contemplations on... Predictability

You cant predict who will come in to your life. There are a million choices. If you exclude non-citiziens of your country there are 10 billion choices. 

Reality is always ahead of you. 

It is Intelligence beyond any supercomputer. 

You cant win the chess game. 

You can project the past but not the future. 

You can increase your probability of randomness by exposing yourself to more of it.  Going to the city to meet people increases your chances of seeing an old friend or a crazy person.

The less choice you have, the easier it is to predict. 

Its easy to predict a coin toss, its very hard to predict 10 coin tosses. 

Too much unpredictability is uncomfortable, which is why we have a complex society to prevent it, but we cant get away from it. 

We like certain randomness, we call it excitement, too much predictability is boredom. A battlefield is too unpredictable, sitting in a locked white room for 7 days is too much boredom and will drive us insane. 

We enjoy some chaos, we like to gossip about it, a big event like a terror attack or a pandemic gets you excited as long as it doesnt happen to you... dont lie.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles Nice contemplations!

Although:

4 hours ago, Rilles said:

Reality is always ahead of you. 

It is Intelligence beyond any supercomputer. 

You cant win the chess game. 

Are you sure we're not just too retarded instead?

There are two ways to say "I am stupid":

1. I am stupid.
  2. Reality is intelligent.

But only one way to say "reality is intelligent":

1. Reality is intelligent.

Detract "Reality is intelligent" from both equations, and you will get: I am stupid = Reality is intelligent.

Pure stupidity.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

42 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@Rilles Nice contemplations!

Although:

Are you sure we're not just too retarded instead?

There are two ways to say "I am stupid":

1. I am stupid.
  2. Reality is intelligent.

But only one way to say "reality is intelligent":

1. Reality is intelligent.

Detract "Reality is intelligent" from both equations, and you will get: I am stupid = Reality is intelligent.

Pure stupidity.

Ya stumped me. 

Survival is a form of avoiding unpredictability.

•Agriculture was a way of having a constant foodsource, we knew when and where to get food. Hunting takes up alot of energy, animals move around and die out, putting them in one place is predictable. 

•Clothing and shelter was a way of avoiding the unpredictability of the weather, keeping a stable body-temperature despite snow and rain. Keeping predators and tribes out by building walls.

to be continued perhaps

Unpredictability scale. 

Meditation is between relaxed and bored which is why its hard to start meditating, its too predictable, ego likes movement. Having cool meditative experiences moves you more towards excitement, an ego-death moves you towards fear which is where you might stop meditating. 

FFB92D38-D73F-4731-9A40-5E79C0481735.jpeg

Predictable                           Unpredictable

Edited by Rilles

Dont underestimate the power of dreams. I dreamed up the question

"Does an atom have a temperature?" Very interesting to ponder... 

Contemplation is easier while dreaming... The mind just flows... 

Why it can be so hard to explain/debate controversial topics or get people to understand something that seems obvious to you. 

Lets say you have 3 people. Two of them (Blue boxes 1 and 3) have built a foundation of knowledge that builds towards a conclusion/full picture (green box). For example: The people on this forum know what spirituality is, we have come from different backgrounds but we have built a ladder of connected ideas that make sense to us towards a full picture.

Now lets say you have a person that has never learned about spirituality or some other topic (blue box 2), for him to make a quantum leap of understanding up to where you are is very difficult. He has to build a ladder too, but there is no time for that in a heated discussion, its even more difficult if he has demonized the ladder that takes him there. 

If you think some of Leos teaching should be obvious to someone else, consider your ladder and their ladder, do they even have a foundation to consider these ideas?

Example from my own life:

-I grew up in a Christian home, I know what spiritual practices are like praying. 

-I had a weird semi-psychedelic experience in 2010.

-I learned about meditating in 2013.

-I learned about esoteric Christianity in 2014.

-I started following Leo in 2016.

And so on. Thats my ladder. Whats yours?

C4EB4BA6-380F-488B-98D7-3B6FA0EE642D.jpeg

And to play devils advocate. Of course it can be the same with conservatives and Trump voters. What ladders have they climbed? What sense-making steps did they ascend over the years?

Can you see that its almost impossible for you to take a quantum leap up to their world-view because then you have to build a ladder by watching 5 years worth of Stefan Molyneux videos and read 2 entire Ayn Rand books? But you dont wanna do that. You LOVE your precious world-view. Its sacred to you. Youre the good guy! Right?! 

Edited by Rilles

Somewhere in your ladder there is certainly an axiom, something you take as a given, if you removed it your ladder might crumble. Example: "God can be found inside of you." Do you know that? Are you sure? Or did you naturally pick it up from your hippie-friend back in high-school and didnt question it and now you watch Leo to confirm your beliefs? ;) 

1. Assumption: God is inside you. 

2. Therefore Buddhism is my best bet.

3. Oh. Look heres a bald guy on Youtube who makes videos about Buddhism and other stuff.

This is just a thought experiment... ;)

Edited by Rilles

These axioms are not necessarily bad. They might lead you somewhere good in life, they can be pragmatic. But its good to go back in your past and see what assumptions you hold and what your ladder is built on. 

Edited by Rilles

Believing in Spiritual "stuff" may have lead you to meditation, epistemology and throwing away bullshit beliefs which in turn can lead to more well-being and peace of mind. So there is no good or bad here. 

Non-sense ideas can lead you on the path towards the realization that your ideas are non-sense. Strange-loop.

Golden milestones on your path to nowhere.

Edited by Rilles

If you leave behind the religion but keep the structure of your beliefs youve failed and youll become a dogmatic atheist/rationalist/materialist. The religion is not the problem, the beliefs are. Tear down the entire scaffolding. 

I believe God exists.

I believe God doesnt exist. 

They are both beliefs. Notice that you actually DONT KNOW, no matter what side youre on.

Edited by Rilles

W H E R E S T H E V I D E O L E O ? ? ? 

I get it now. Im condemned to be free. Like Sartre said. Thats why I've been anxious for 10 years, I could have done so much but didnt. 

That is... if I actually care to be somebody. Maybe I dont have to be anyone in particular. Thats where Satre had a blindspot I guess, I havent read any of his stuff. 

Edited by Rilles

The 4 compasses.

Intuition

Mind (Past and future)

5 Senses (Now)

Emotion

Without these you are completely useless. One doesnt work without the other.

Too much emotion you become paralyzed and you cant reason.

Too much reason you become an emotionless robot.

Too much mind you become a daydreamer and out of focus.

Too much intuition you become... paranoid?

Edited by Rilles

Listening: Mind and Cosmos by Thomas Nagel. 

Apparently caused scientismists (thats my word for dogmatic scientists) scientism-ists to lose their shit and completely tear down a well respected philosopher Nagel. Nothing is sacred to the collective ego, they will burn you at the fucking stake if you disagree with them. 

Dont worry about it. Let it go. 

Levels of Consciousness

according to David Hawkins

(ego death)

Enlightenment

Peace

Joy

Love

Reason

Acceptance

Willingness

Neutrality

Courage

Pride

Anger

Desire

Fear

Grief

Apathy

Guilt

Shame

(suicide active or passive)

If you find yourself spiraling down into negativity when your baseline is usually around Willingness, Acceptance and Reason then take a deep breath, let the storm blow over and youll soon find yourself going back up the ladder. Dont give into the lower states of consciousness. Let yourself float back up.