omfar001

the answer for the question ''What if you're not good at the life purpose you want''

6 posts in this topic

i have posted a topic here weeks ago about not being good at engineering as much as i want to be and that i see people write codes and design robots that i dream of building so i was hesitant about continuing in my career as an engineer (i am now doing my master degree) and i use all my efforts to barely go through the exams but i don't do any innovation and that made me upset because i wanted to be an inventor but i am simply not good at it so i watched this video today and i think it answered my question anyone who has the same problem i think it might help

link for my previous topic : 

Nobody starts being good at anything. It's all about how much work you put in, and if you can stick with it.

I've always wanted to make video games but I've put it off my whole life because coding/programming seemed too hard to learn. But finally about a month ago I thought I would give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?

It's not easy. Every day it's frustrating and overwhelming. I spent 6 hours looking through tutorials, asking on forums to get an answer to a coding problem I had. Probably something an expert coder could write a couple lines and solve in 5 minutes. I never ended up getting an answer. But instead of giving up, I moved on to something else and kept looking. I ended up buying a course on Udemy that will teach me what I need to know, plus lots more.

I won't allow myself to give up. Even though it feels hard, I'm spending a couple hours on it every day, and gradually starting to feel a lot more familiar with it, and like maybe I could even create my own very basic game. Getting little bits of progress motivate you to keep going. And eventually you do get better at it.

Everything sucks when you first start learning it... programming, playing guitar, golf, drawing. These are things people love and make their hobby. But when you're new at it, you hate it and feel like you'll never get good at it. But one day you just have a breakthrough and realize it feels natural, you're good at it, and you enjoy it.

I recommend starting off with something easier than engineering to learn. Could be a little hobby or something. Like learning to solve a Rubik's cube. Once you learn that you can learn to do 1 thing you aren't good at, then you realize you can do the same thing with almost any other skill.

You should distinguish whether it's within your domain of strength. That doesn't mean you have to be good at it, but it has to fit what you have knack for.

In your case your thing might not be the engineering but the vision, creative direction, management, and business side. Engineering work is easily outsourced to experts while you handle the hardest part: creative direction.

If your knack is for creative direction and management, DO NOT go into engineering. This would be huge mistake. On the other hand, if your knack is for technical detail, then DO NOT go into management.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura That is interesting! I am specializing in Engineering Design and Product Development in Mechanical Engineering, and I intently direct myself into the vision, creative direction and away from the technical details of engineering. 

In my view, the technical details are the hardest part, but you say it is the creative direction it is?

Can you elaborate why that is? Because when you say creative direction is hard, it just motivates me, because it comes quite natural or easy for me.

Q

Hahahahhahahhahah hi everyone i am back after 3 years, i finished my master and now i am engineer working in the same company that i made my master thesis in and i have written alooooot of code and the whole master thesis report.

I think the biggest thing that helped me is identity change, i basically kept telling myself i can do it i am engineer,  i am smart and i can do anything. And the rest are details. But i am still in the search of my real purpose. But at least now i have the belief that i can and that i am able to go through anything and tackle it.

That's awesome, kudos!

You get good at what you're interested in and do a lot.

Whatever you can't do well, you can get other people on your team for.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/