Clayman

Money - A Goal, Or An Outcome?

10 posts in this topic

Finally, my first topic.
I'll try to make it as short as i can.

I've done some serious personal development work in the last 2 years. Lets say that I understand quite a lot of its principles. 

All the personal development books I encountered, all the videos I watched, and all the other material I went trough points out that your goal should be: advancing in your field, be aligned with yourself, deliver value, bla bla ect, you know the stuff...... and as you do it, money will become a byproduct of all those actions. Meaning that you should not focus on getting money. Money is the byproduct.

When I think deeply about it, I get it, on a logical level at least, it feels right, it connects to all the other things, I do not have any resistance against the idea. But in the medium/survival mode financial position I am in (having money only for my rent, bills, for proper food, gym membership and few other basic things), getting the xxxx amount of money can easily get on my mission statement, goal list and become a part of my life strategy. Its quite confusing and conflicting. I can't find a good way to set my psychology on the right place. These 2 ideas are constantly battling inside my head.

Right now I am just betting that all the things all those people have said are true, when you connect the dots it makes a lot of sense. I am ''deep-working'' and rapidly advancing in my field. Making plans and strategy how to delver valuable and high impact work. and I am a 3D and Vfx artist btw. 

Does anyone else have these thoughts, if so, did anyone overcame them?

I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

Edited by Clayman

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

It depends what your overarching goals are. If your overarching goal is to seek enlightenment, then money can be a tool to sustain you throughout that journey ,or you can choose to live a more money-free life. I know and have met a lot of people who live on very minimal money. It's just not conventionally "comfortable." If your goal is to keep working on personal development alongside your main career, then money is still a tool to sustain you throughout that journey. You are only reliant on money as long as you are reliant on a lifestyle. 

What I am reading now: Smile at Fear, Chögyam Trungpa

1 hour ago, Clayman said:

I've done some serious personal development work in the last 2 years. Lets say that I understand quite a lot of its principles. 

Then you should understand what this is.

0bddb88.jpg

Money is a more fundamental need than self-actualization. If you are dirt poor, don't feel ashamed of going for the money. In fact they are hardly mutually exclusive. Use both money and higher values as motivation to create better work. When you don't need money as much anymore, then you can let it go as a motivation and focus mostly on higher values.

TL;dr: Motivate yourself with both lower, middle and higher consciousness values.

As for every goal, we need to know Why we want to achieve it. If you just want to be rich, then it won't work and I have seen lots of people in my life who went for the money and failed miserably. 

Work out the reason, then money will be your tool.

Also consider: (for any goal) what would be the difference in my self-respect, self-esteem and life quality if I achieve it? Can I improve these without the goal that I set? What are the other ways? Can there be some hidden disadvantage of achieving this goal?

@philosogi Yes I am considering seeking those goals alongside my career. I would use money as a tool for of sustainment and a lifestyle choice to some degree.

@J. M. Wigglesworth Yes :D Ofc I know what that is. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the previous post. The thing that f**** me is the paradox of:

*''Focus on the money and you wont get them''
*''Focus on value, carrier,world contribution....ect, ect.... and than you get the money as a byproduct of those investments/actions.''

Meaning, obviously, that you should not focus on the money to get them, its a trap.

http://minimumwagehistorian.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/jutland-trap.jpg 

I think even Leo elaborated this in few accounts. Not that I am broke and drowning at the low end of the pyramid, but honestly half of my ''Maslow security section'' is a fairly fermented Swiss cheese. Thus this paradox is forced on me :) But still .... money can be quite a ...motivation, not sure if a goal, but a motivation...yes. You got a point.

@Pelin I have the same approach for all my goals, that is how having ''a lot of money'' came on the list in the first place. I am also constantly rethinking and adapting my moves. Self analyzing, looking within. For now, knowing the reasons, as you said ... keeps me motivated and on the path. But the goals still feel... funky. Its like - ''Ok, I want this, its good for me, oh ok, it requires money. Can it be done without money, sometimes it can, but paid with a different price. Will you pay it. No you will not. So, get those money, put them on your mission statement, think and plan how to get them,work towards it, error.''

Thanks for your insights Mates.

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

@Clayman I do understand  you need money to maintain your life and sometimes just following your passion is not enough to earn a living. My aunt loves painting and she's been painting for like twenty years now, she sold only a few paintings and most of them were bought by family members. But she is very fulfilled, she broadened her horizon, she gained different perspectives.  

There are millions of examples like that. But just earning money doesn't bring you to the point where you follow your heart's content either. You can get caught up in earning more and more and forget the first goal quickly. 

How about setting "being financially free" or "setting up a business" or something that you want to do as your goal? That way money won't define you. And sometimes, believe me, there are lots of ways other than money that will come along, and you can achieve your goals even without it. Working hard and consistently is the key.

4 hours ago, Clayman said:

I have the same approach for all my goals, that is how having ''a lot of money'' came on the list in the first place.

You say you see money as a tool...then how come you put it on your goal list? I used to struggle with the same issue though. Seeing money as a goal on itself. Hoarding money, just to have it...  Having money as a goal, is a poverty mindset. That mindset will make you a scrooge, afraid to spend and use money. Money is a tool. It's not even a real thing, it has no value in itself. It's an idea, ableit a very powerful one.

I'm sure you've heard this before...but make sure you have multiple sources of income. However small they may seem at the start. Consistently Invest, even very small amounts, into assets.

Edited by David1

HUGE INFERRENCE HERE

Seems to me like you've been working hard, money hasn't come, and now you're frustrated, so you put it on your goal list. 

If I'm right, then you probably shouldn't have it as a goal, because it would be reactive. But that's also a good thing, because it's a big challenge to overcome, which means you're gonna learn a lot from it.

If I'm wrong, then you may have it as a goal, so long as you know why you want it (and also make sure it's not neurotically driven), and how you're gonna get it (male sure you're contributing massive value for that).

@Pelin That's the story of my life :D I'm currently playing in 2 bands, wrote poetry in the past, did archaeology work (that's my master and bachelor) loved them, enjoyed them, opened new worlds and horizon with them and don't get me wrong, I am still doing most of that stuff, and I love it! But financially, I earned almost nothing. Being ''financially free'' as a goal sounds like a good, it already is. Maybe I just need to mark the money part, and press delete.

@David1 Exactly! You see what bugs me. Goal=X, tool=money, to achieve goal X use tool, insufficient tool, acquire more tool to proceed. new goal set, acquire more tool. That's the bug. Its funny how I read all of this stuff you guys write and agree with most of it, but still can not get around it in practice. I am currently working on a ''freelancer portfolio'', so I can add a second income source. That would boost up few things for a start.

@Tancrede Pouyat There is a minor truth, but I don't think I am reacting. I worked hard, and still am, maybe I am just a little impatient, so it forces me rethink my goals. Payoffs did come, good ones. But its not something big enough that would make life progress towards some of the other goals.

Goal=X, tool=money, to achieve goal X use tool, insufficient tool, acquire more tool to proceed. new goal set, acquire more tool
What do you think about it ?

Thanks for reading my crap.
I appreciate the time you have invested !

@Clayman To me, it's more like : Goal = X, Obstacle = Y, Tool = Skill required to overcome Y. I honestly urge you to see what's preventing you from achieving your goal.