Sunnyboytoni

Is this a value?

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm Tony, and I just wanted to ask if courage is a value to me if I don't really enjoy doing courageous things by themselves, but I know that courage itself is powerful enough to get me results in life.

I know that it is good for me, but my lower self is scared to pull the trigger 

I've always been good at pushing my limits and living at my edge because I did pickup for almost a year,

If courage is important to me, but I'm fearful when thinking of it, can this value bring me fulfillment or just fear and stress in my life?

I don't want to confuse comfort in a value with fulfillment, that's why I ask this question,

Courage itself is not pleasant, but can lead to satisfying results if worked on a daily basis.

Thank you guys!

Courage seems like a good value if you're using it for good (non-toxic) reasons. Courage could lead you to step in and help some woman that's getting abused by her husband in public. But it could also make you rob a bank. So there's a light and a dark side there I'd say.

Even if you're apprehensive about being courageous in the moment, it can still be good. Some fear just means that you're still being realistic and logical, and less likely to take stupid risks from being overconfident.

Think about a time where you did display courage, and how good you felt afterward. For me that'd be something like completing a high ropes course even though I was scared, and the sense of accomplishment and confidence that you have once it's done.

However, consider if you actually want to maximize courage, or if what you really want is to minimize fear.

It's actually possible to maximize courage while still being full of fear and stress.

Think of a skinny nerdy guy who starts going to the gym and doing steroids to get big, listens to Jocko Willink every day, and starts putting on a fake aggressive front. He might build up courage and confidence over time. But he never really addresses that fear that drove him to do it, and he's still ultimately a scared little boy inside underneath it all. This can start to manifest in negative ways.

Its ok to value something even if you are not 100% a master of it (which you never will), value just means you consider it important and central to you. 

Courage is not about having no fear, but about acting through it. Vulnerability is the birthplace of courage. 

Connect to Create ☼♡

Thank you brother, this shit really helped I'm greatfull for this simplified definition.

What if I found a value important as fuck, but I don't like the idea of embodying  it?

Edited by Sunnyboytoni

@Sunnyboytoni Two options - either it's not authentic, ie. you've been told to get results this way but it's not yours, or it is authentic but you're not as much in alignment with it as you'd like.

To decide, I'd try to remember a time when you did do something courageous. How did THAT feel? ;)

(Also, it sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself. Like there's something in particular that you think you should do that is giving you anxiety. But that's now what you ask about in this thread...)

Courage is an emotion. Or better an emotional state. Same as apathy, anger, pride, fear etc.

You can value it but as all emotional states it will come and go. If you want to feel more courage you can let go of the other emotions and focus on courage. This video explains it in more detail.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, Oliver Saavedra said:

@Sunnyboytoni What is it that you don't like about embodying it?

My bad I meant to say, that I don't really find it fun or pleasant doing courageous things, but I love the feeling of freedom, pride, Independance, and self confidence it gives me afterwards

I honestly can't imagine getting any results in self development  that are sustainable without it, I look at it as necicarry as fuck for me, basing it on the experience I have had in the past from doing courageous  things 

If I feel this way about the value, but don't like doing things related to the value itself that much, would it still be a value?

It's kind of like working  out, a lot of people don't like working out,  but are happy with it's  benefits and the results it gives and the feeling they get after working out.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, Yarco said:

Courage seems like a good value if you're using it for good (non-toxic) reasons. Courage could lead you to step in and help some woman that's getting abused by her husband in public. But it could also make you rob a bank. So there's a light and a dark side there I'd say.

Even if you're apprehensive about being courageous in the moment, it can still be good. Some fear just means that you're still being realistic and logical, and less likely to take stupid risks from being overconfident.

Think about a time where you did display courage, and how good you felt afterward. For me that'd be something like completing a high ropes course even though I was scared, and the sense of accomplishment and confidence that you have once it's done.

However, consider if you actually want to maximize courage, or if what you really want is to minimize fear.

It's actually possible to maximize courage while still being full of fear and stress.

Think of a skinny nerdy guy who starts going to the gym and doing steroids to get big, listens to Jocko Willink every day, and starts putting on a fake aggressive front. He might build up courage and confidence over time. But he never really addresses that fear that drove him to do it, and he's still ultimately a scared little boy inside underneath it all. This can start to manifest in negative ways.

This is just pure gold, thank you Yarco that feeling afterwards is beautiful.

19 hours ago, universe said:

Courage is an emotion. Or better an emotional state. Same as apathy, anger, pride, fear etc.

You can value it but as all emotional states it will come and go. If you want to feel more courage you can let go of the other emotions and focus on courage. This video explains it in more detail.

Thank you sir, I like your username.

19 hours ago, universe said:

23 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

@Sunnyboytoni Two options - either it's not authentic, ie. you've been told to get results this way but it's not yours, or it is authentic but you're not as much in alignment with it as you'd like.

To decide, I'd try to remember a time when you did do something courageous. How did THAT feel? ;)

(Also, it sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself. Like there's something in particular that you think you should do that is giving you anxiety. But that's now what you ask about in this thread...)

How would it feel if it were authentic?

I seem to not be exited about  the value until I actually do courageous things and get results from it,

It's important to me but it's not something I am too passionate about 

Not  sure if that's inauthentic or if I just lost alignment with the value,

I'm just starting to embody it more in my life. and I feel more free, confident and greatfull for life because I'm more courageous to do the things I love and am passionate about, now that freedom sparks unbelievable amounts of passion and gratitude in my life that I can't explain.