SMI

Age And Wisdom

7 posts in this topic

What is the relation between age and wisdom ? I think just getting older makes you wise even if you read no books, do not socialize. Do nothing ? I have found this to be true in my life.

Well, every person gets experience after years at some level, but still, it's an individual topic. Generally, we can say that older people know more about life, they are more ''experienced'' and more grounded, but it doesn't mean age matters a lot. I wouldn't say that ''age is just a number,'' but it isn't as important as it seems in the society. Maybe I am wrong, It's just my opinion...

Edited by Canadian

Experience of course.

And also emotionally reactive behaviors tend to mellow out with age. So people behave less rashly, less impulsively, and just generally chill the fuck out. So they do less stupid stuff.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Hmmm, it's debatable that as you get older, you get wiser.

Because surely if the person hasn't made a conscious choice to look into self improvement - seeking wisdom, enlightenment etc then they will continue to live in their current state of conditioning and sink more deeper and deeper into unconsciousness.

I know a few old people who don't seem that wise, but maybe they were wiser than before.

However, when it comes to experience then of course you will get wiser because you can learn from your mistakes and learn new things which you thought you'd never do.

Edited by Lawrence

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

aging is natural enlightenment, meditation is catalyst for aging 

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

23 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Because surely if the person hasn't made a conscious choice to look into self improvement - seeking wisdom, enlightenment etc then they will continue to live in their current state of conditioning and sink more deeper and deeper into unconsciousness.

I tend to agree here.

I don't really see much evidence to suggest that older people are more wise. Although it depends on how you define 'wise'. Some people grow out of their younger 'ways' and through life experience gain a natural insight in to the neuroses of some of the pursuits of younger people. And yes, life experience will provide more insight than less experience. But I would say that this is fairly limited in terms of 'wiseness'.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

Generality speaking the older one gets the less problems one has to fix.

Chronic masturbation for instance is much more prevalent with younger guys , most the older guys skip right on past that topic ( or should of ) and others.

There are no golden rules  , but as Leo pointed out people mellow the fuk out with age and they do

It can seen in the jail populations as the majority of inmates are in their 20's who do not stop coming back until their mid to late thirties.