SaynotoKlaus

Should You Never Give Up On Your Dream?

8 posts in this topic

Everyone in the self improvement field says that you should never give up on your dreams , and persist no matter how hard it is. But what if you are never getting anywhere with that dream? When/how do you know this? People say that you can achieve anything if you are perseverant , but that's not true. Life has it's limitations.

What if working on your dream it's just a constant struggle? And every time you make a step forwards , you inevitably step back where you started from? What if you have this subtle feeling that you just suck at it , and your goal is forever out of your reach?

Shouldn't you rather settle down with something you're good at , rather that keep struggling with something you want so bad to be real?

Edited by SaynotoKlaus

Achieving things is life is rarely straight forward. There is always going to be some struggle involved. Unless, like most people, you take the easy option - which is why people tend never to reach their potential or their dreams. More often than not, to get results in life requires taking the difficult options, particularly the emotionally difficult options.

If there is enough motivation, and you believe strongly in what you are doing, and trying to achieve, then the effort and pain involved would feel worth it. It is doesn't then perhaps you are not motivated sufficiently. Which could be a sign that your heart isn't in it and it isn't an authentic goal.

On the other hand I am also a believer of not focussing exclusively on goals. The problem with being goal orientated is that goals are a point in the future when something is hoped, or expected to be achieved. The problem with this is that noone knows what will happen. A goal may never be reached, or, even if it is, it may not be as good as you expected it to be and/or it may not even last.

I prefer to be process orientated rather than exclusively looking at the goal. The process is the only thing you have until the goal is, or isn't reached. It's the only thing that exists in the present moment. Therefore, it seems to me that the process should be something enjoyable and fulfilling as an end in itself. That way you are independent of the outcome. If you reach the end point and loock back and can say to yourself 'I enjoyed the process and learned a lot from it' then that, in itself, is a success despite the goal being or not being successful.

So on the one hand it's good to aim for some fulfilling goal, but if the process is a lengthy one, and largely unfullfilling in itself, then perhaps a rethink is in order. Ultimately I believe that the whole process from start to finish is an end in itself and should be as enjoyable as the ultimate goal.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

3 hours ago, SaynotoKlaus said:

Everyone in the self improvement field says that you should never give up on your dreams , and persist no matter how hard it is.

I hear this everywhere as well and it's frustrating. I assume you didn't mean in the approach that I want to take here but your subject made me think about something.  

Should you never give up on your dream no matter what; if your name is Hitler and your dream is to make the world better by doing eugenics in the world population? 

*Please read this carefully, it is a controversial subject and it may be misinterpreted. 

I don't really know how to phrase this well either actually..I'm looking for an answer but Im not sure if i wrote my question correctly ..

Edited by Orange

If it's truly your passion you should definitely aim for your dream. What else would you do with your time? Maybe you should take it slower? Enjoy it. Time is your greatest gift.

On 8/16/2016 at 9:20 AM, SaynotoKlaus said:

What if working on your dream it's just a constant struggle? And every time you make a step forwards , you inevitably step back where you started from? What if you have this subtle feeling that you just suck at it , and your goal is forever out of your reach?

Yeah, I have experienced this as well. The only way your passion can be a constant struggle is if you're approaching it in a neurotic way. The first thing you can do about that is slow way down on whatever you're doing.

You will always find a way if you believe in it fully 

- Enter your fear and you are free -

@SaynotoKlaus "Never quit is a spectacularly bad advice" says Seth Godin in his tiny book "The Dip". Smart quitting prevents failing. You have to know when you have to quit. If you see no progress, you might be in a dead end street. Don't quit if you are just in a dip. Don't quit if you are just panicking. Getting through the dip separates the mediocres from the winners. At the same time, being persistent in a dead-end street is the most stupid thing you can do. I recommend you read the book.