Mppdidi

Protein

8 posts in this topic

Truthful video. Excess protein is quite bad for health and longevity, although the greatest issue doesn't lie in kidneys or the liver. Expression of IGF-1 and mTOR are all-encompassing anabolic hormones, meaning they contribute to the growth of both muscle as well as cancer cells. Having elevated levels of them isn't optimal, that's why I choose very carefully when to release insulin and trigger protein synthesis. Practicing intermittent fasting is my go-to tumor prevention and longevity strategy.

Coupling protein with sugar causes glycation and oxidative damage. It's actually quite detrimental to be eating those low fat high carb high protein bodybuilding diets that preach about 2.0g/lb of protein. For natural lifters, there isn't even any advantage to eating more than 0.8g/lb of body weight to gain muscle. Most of those protein shakes will be turned into sugar and pissed out. 

Although, I don't agree with him about not exceeding 50 grams. It might be sustainable for sedentary and small people. However, if you were to be heavier and with more muscles, then you would still need more amino acids. Not in copious amounts, but about 0.6-0.8g/lb should be required for maintaining and building lean body mass, which is a crucial component of anti-aging and longevity as well. For an average person weighing 170 pounds, it means about 100-120 grams max.

Triggering an anabolic response through protein synthesis and mTOR isn't bad for your health per se, it's just that most people don't control it and let it happen randomly almost throughout the day. Doing intermittent fasting and then having an anabolic response, let's say once a day, isn't detrimental, like eating healthy one meal won't compensate for the damage of eating junk at other times. Also, occasionally doing protein fasting, during which you reduce your daily protein intake close to zero is also an important strategy to keep you sensitive.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

Hey everybody,

long story short - a healthy body + mind is needed to get you to your goal.

All the best :D

This guy is eighter trying to sell something, or is yet another victum of conformation bias. Why all that cherry picking mate ?

Be carefull when going through his "arguments".

Edited by Clayman

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

I enjoyed the first video found the information useful and refreshing to hear a point of view that did not involve sales but instead a reduction of rich in nutrient super foods along with much less protein.

Dr Oren is suggesting less is more

@Mppdidi I'm not a doctor, but i never heard of a mechanism in wich the body can turn fat into cabohydrates like this guy sais. Nor can i find anything about it online. 

All indigenous people eat alot of protein. Look at all the cities around the world...most are near the coast or big water streams. That is for a reason...fish. The mediterranean diet is packed with seafood and olive oil, and is traditionally low in carbs. The people around the world who have to survive on rice or pide, have to do so because of poverty. And they don't look particularly healthy if you ask me. The obesitas epidemic that is going on right now (and all the diseases related to it) is because of sugar overconsumption. And sugar is a carb. Didn't watch the vid...turned it off after 10 mins. 

Edited by David1

Basically it is not clear what protein intake is the upper-limit that would be a point of diminishing returns in terms of general healh and longevity.

To clarify that, they would have to run a very long, hard to monitor study.

I wouldn't worry about it since most of the population underconsume protein.

@David1

There is no mechanism for fatty acids in Your body to turn into carbohydrates. I think You were thinking of ketogenesis where fatty acids are being broken down to ketone bodies that can be used as fuel. That's not a big deal, Your body produces them when You're fasting (e.g. while sleeping) or under carbohydrate exclusion from the diet also known as ketogenic diet.

And no, sugar overconsumption is not the root of all diseases.
Excess caloric intake (overconsumption of whatever) which leads to obesity that is linked to most of 21th century diseases is the problem.
Not a specific product or macronutrient.

Any other statement against specific food is based on correlation like this:

e.g. Sugar = highly palatable = easily overconsumed = more kcals = weight gain & more visceral adipose tissue = insulin resistance.

Doesn't mean that while consumed under condition that total energy intake negative or neutral (caloric deficit or maintenance) it cannot be healthy.

Dr. Mark Haub was eating a hefty amount of sugar over 70 days for his demonstration project while monitoring his macronutrient & micronutrient intake to ensure that he was at negative energy balance. Long story short, he improved his blood markers and lost weight.

On 3-9-2016 at 8:10 PM, Thomas said:

There is no mechanism for fatty acids in Your body to turn into carbohydrates.

I know this, but apperantly the doctor (MD) in the above vid doesn't. In the first ten minutes of the clip he's already talking loads of BS.

This video is a real eye opener...

On 3-9-2016 at 8:10 PM, Thomas said:

And no, sugar overconsumption is not the root of all diseases.

Like you said, sugar spikes insuline. And insuline is a lever for the body to switch to carbohydrates for fuel. So all the fat you eat, while the body runs on carbs, gets stored. Ofcoures, if you eat alot of carbs (sugar) and not much else, like many poor people have to do, you're not going to gain weight. On the contrary, people who survive on carbs look very weak and atrophied.

Edited by David1