Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Megan Alecia

How to deal with hard truths?

4 posts in this topic

I am skimming through a Jung book right now. 

In one instance I spotted a passage that accurately described one of my most deepest unconscious inner workings. It made me feel disgusted (idk why), nervous and terrified.

I kind of want to keep reading, given the merit of doing it, and in spite my own lackluster attention span. But I know its gonna be hard read not only with not just many rude awakenings, but also with some sacrifices to make (in terms of habits and hidden desires).

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

You are not your unconscious inner workings.

Realizing you are not that, you can set you free to observe them calmly and withouth judge them and heal them with your compassion and love to all things and beings.

You may have learnt something about yourself that is hard for you to accept. Be open to learning how you are. Remember you need to recognise a flaw before you can fix it.

On the other hand, I've heard that Jung was a bad person with demonic involvement, so you may be absorbing his negativity. If you keep having bad emotions when reading his work, it may be best to put it down.

Jung made great advances in our understanding of alchemy, personality, self actualisation, and so on, but much of this is better not taken too seriously.

You may find yourself adrift a sea of confusion, thinking you have problems you don't have.

That being said, I have read plenty of Jung's work, and I did feel that it helped me in understanding things, such as my status as a shaman.

So yeah... Be willing to look at yourself clearly and honestly. And sometimes when you think there is a problem with you, it is actually someone else projecting negativity into you.

I've heard reading Jung is exacty like that, its a series of ego deaths. 

Being the ego like a brick wall, by reading Jung you are now deconstructing its mechanism, removing brick by brick, which eventually will lead to its colapse. Ego death can be painful since its a part of what we consider "me" that is dying, and with each ego death we now have to reavaluate our lives and integrate it in our own being. 

With every brick you remove, there can be a surge of negative emotions that comes with it since you are now realizing what I believe Jung calls your "shadow self", this surge is like a tank of compressed air that was there all along and is now being released, being the air shame, guilt, fear, anger, and so on. Everytime we feel some kind of negative emotion, one of the defense mechanisms of the mind is to come up with some crooked, intricate way to rationalize it or avoid it to keep it down, and so this emotions acumulate throughout life. This release of "compressed air" is what you are experiencing. One of the ways to deal with it is to stay with the emotion, be with it, feel it, accept it, dont try to control or change it, because it will run out, every negative emotion has a limit to it, and if you stop resisting it, it will run out. Whatever fact you discover about youself, a fact is only a fact, its the resistance to the emotion associated with it that brings pain.

Hope this helps.