heeaffes

Fear Of Physical Pain

8 posts in this topic

I've always been careful when it comes to things that might cause an injury. When I played sports, I was always afraid of getting in physical contact, getting tackled and so on. When I ride my bike I'm always careful on the turns so I don't fall or whatever. And I have had this problem as long as I can remember. Why it has become a huge problem is because I want to try out some sports. I'm getting really interested in rugby, american football, different kind of combat sports like mma. But the only thing which is holding me back is that I know I'm going to be a pussy and being afraid of going all in. I have this mental block whenever I'm going to make a tackle or something similar.

What I'm hoping to hear is if there is any way for me to get over it. Am I doomed to be a pussy? Or can I change my mindset just like someone who's socialy anxious can become a talkative extrovert. Where do I start? This shit is holding me back in so many ways and I hate this weakness.

Firstly stop judging yourself. Being averse to pain doesn't make you a pussy. It makes you human. It is your body's way of protecting you from injury.

The fact is that many pursuits in life come with risks. Sports come with the risk of physical injury, it's just a fact. The risk is there. If you want to pursue these things then you have to accept that risk and the pain that comes with that. The amount of risk varies so it's down to you to decide whether the potential gain warrants the amount of risk AND the potential long-term consequences of that risk.

The question is: how important to you is it to try out these sports? Is it more important than the chance of getting an injury doing so?

Ultimately you have to come to terms with the fact that you may get an injury. If that happens you'll just have to deal with it at the time. People deal with such things all the time and get through them. People recover. It can happen anyway. Just getting out of bed then falling down the stairs. It's an inherent risk of being a life-form.

54 minutes ago, heeaffes said:

What I'm hoping to hear is if there is any way for me to get over it. Am I doomed to be a pussy? Or can I change my mindset just like someone who's socialy anxious can become a talkative extrovert. Where do I start? This shit is holding me back in so many ways and I hate this weakness.

You may never 'get over it' but you may learn how to cope with it if it happens. You're not doomes to be a pussy because you're not one and it doesn't make you one. Perhaps losing these judgments may go some distance to you getting over these sorts of hang-ups. It isn't weakness, and viewing it as that will only hold you back further.

Things may or may not happen in life. You may or may not get hurt. You could sit around procrastinating about it forever, or you can get out there and see what really happens. And if something does happen, you'll have to take it on in the moment and work through it. Life's to short anyway, so follow your passions. Living a long life without passion isn't going to be any more fulfilling than living life following your passions at the risk of something occuring. There are people who have died whilst following their passions, but if you could ask them if they would have it any other way they would probably say not.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

@heeaffes "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

@heeaffes

If you let fear control your life, you will be miserable when you realized you wasted your life not having gone for what you should have. Do not live with regret and take action despite the fear. Do not quit and do not give up. Take action despite the fear and set an example for others who cannot do that. That would be very inspirational and something you probably something you would look back on and be proud of when you are on your death bed... Rather than sitting there like "fear got the better of me and feel like a Little bitch". That would suck and be an absolute Waste of life. Life is hard and that is how it should be. Through the greatest challenges come the most amazing experiences and feelings. Life would not be satisfying  if it was all easy ;)

Fear is used to keep one safe but its not real , its an illusion that your Ego uses to keep you separate from others. 
Social fears are lies that keep people home where its very safe , boring but safe.

Challenge yourself to do something daring , say diving off a cliff or the high dive board.

Edited by Beam

All fears stem from the fear of the loss of Self. You have equated Self with the physical body, as long as you identify with the physical body there will be fear. When you realize the true Self(as opposed to the false Self) all fears will slowly vanish, since the true Self is incapable of dying.

Finding the true self is easier said than done when you are currently engrossed in the false, it won't come for free. But it's something to keep in mind while you are looking for bettering your life.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@heeaffes

pretend to be fearless until you become fearless, I dont know..yeah maybe its effective for you. I experienced lot of fears during my high School specially when playing basketball. Sooo it just came up to my mind how about I'm gonna pretend I have no fear like Im just like solid no emotions to show in my face-just fu.kn play no matter what, ..but meeen! to be honest that was the coolest technique I've used special those crucial games I had. But maybe? I dont know , just try it.

@heeaffes Have you heard the expression "feel the fear and do it anyway?"

I love this quote. Have you asked yourself what it is your really scared of? what is the worse that could happen if you didn't take such careful precautions? No need to be reckless but having no fear when choosing to do something fun is living.

We can try to be as careful with everything that happens to us or in our life but reality is, at some point or another we are going to get hurt, we are going to get bruises and we are going to lose our temper at someone. 

It is always possible to change your mindset and it all starts with the decision to make a difference to your own life. We all can give you great advice but the choice starts with you to start taking risks and action... who knows you might just have some fun and not mind a little bruise or tackle here and there.