KaRzual

Enlightenment and dementia

12 posts in this topic

I'm a music freak. Not only i do love music for itself, but for the message it sends. 

Recently i've stumbled upon crazy project made by english producer - The Caretaker. 

In his recent and final gargantuan work he focuses on the topic of memory loss. 

For everybody interested in te musical component of his act - he manipulates and changes the samples from 20`s and 30`s ballroom`s music. The project contains 6 stages representing process of memory loss. As the first stage contains a little crackling samples the other... sorry, you just gotta check yourself. It's 100% worth it. 

But beside this project i wondered - what if an enlightened person, let's say our favourite guy Leo, gets dementia? Does he slowly become more ego driven? How would the one react? What is the most possible result? Would he lose his enlightenment? 

PS. the link for The Caretaker's project.

Enlightenment is not like object that you can lose. Also, there is no enlightened person. Doesn't make sense, sry.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Dementia patients seem to lose aspects of their sense of self.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@allislove i get what you mean but i think you didn't really grasp what i'm trying to say.

As far as i'm concerned enlightenment is the result of realization and direct experience, realizing Oneness.

And as far as dementia goes - you not only lose your memory but also basic cognitive functions (awarness included).

Now, how does this affect the feeling/realization of Oneness. 

1 minute ago, KaRzual said:

@allislove 

And as far as dementia goes - you not only lose your memory but also basic cognitive functions (awarness included).

@KaRzual  Hehe.... see you are not getting it because you think awareness depends on cognitive function or brain activity 

@Javfly33 @Carl-Richard of course they lose their sense of self. But i want to spot the main difference here between what we do intentionally through psychedelics, meditation, self inquiry and what they experience - being forced into losing their sense of self along with their awarness. 

That's quite different i guess. 

Just now, KaRzual said:

@Javfly33 @Carl-Richard of course they lose their sense of self. But i want to spot the main difference here between what we do intentionally through psychedelics, meditation, self inquiry and what they experience - being forced into losing their sense of self along with their awarness. 

That's quite different i guess. 

Again, they do not lose awareness. Awareness is there as it is in a 5 year old kid who have no clue what enlightement is.

Honestly, I don´t have any idea how a person with dementia experiences the world. But as I said, is Consciousness which is or not awake of itself, not a person or a brain. So Consciousness could be maybe more awake within an ego that doesn´t construct contantly an story of time. That´s what I said "If any, the oppossite".

1 hour ago, KaRzual said:

@allislove i get what you mean but i think you didn't really grasp what i'm trying to say.

As far as i'm concerned enlightenment is the result of realization and direct experience, realizing Oneness.

Now, how does this affect the feeling/realization of Oneness. 

Sounds like an object, though....

I heard Shinzen Young once say that he has a thyroid condition and if he doesn't take his medication he is unable to think, literally. so he tried it out to see whether the equanimity and deep happiness continue. and they did continue. now, this is not directly dementia, but it seems appropriate to mention here.

Edited by Petals