art

Share Exercises/tips/visualizations On How To Ground Yourself In Your Body!

14 posts in this topic

Share exercises/tips/visualizations on how to ground yourself in your body!

Background:

I have noticed that I am very little grounded in my body. By that I mean that I am not standing steady on my feet. This has psychological reasons, like insecurities as well as phsycal. I feel it like my weight is more centered in my neck and the back of my shoulders, and also that I do not stand steady on my feet. This is very uncomfortable in social settings as I am aware of it, and I feel that this is a big pillar of my insecurities - not being grounded.

A therapist I saw some time ago suggested doing some excersices for it. He is into spirituality himself, and also pointed out the importance of being grounded in your body. This is mainly because he saw some of his clients, coming from Ascension meditation who hasn't released their trauamas or where not grounded in their body. He said that if you're not grounded it can knock you off the peg in difficult times. He saw some of his clients have very superficial look in their eyes and no grounding in their body. (Not a spiritual childerness, but like a "naive superficial stupidity" as he called it)

Also that if you are grounded in your body, you can transcend it as well. Osho talks about working towards reaching enlightment AND being earthly at the same time, as he calls his vision for "Zorba the Buddha" - the three C's: Consciousness, Compassion and Creativity. "As meditative as a Buddha, as Loving as a Khrisna and as Creative as a Michelangelo and a Leonardo DaVinci"

My main aim is to be grounded: Standing steady on my own feet, feeling support from the earth, like I have deep roots, as steady and heavy as mountain rock. Relaxed, centered and with great confidence. Physical independent and physcal non-needy.

I got some excersices:

Exercise 1

Sit on a chair and take a deep breath and release it with a heavy sigh that presses your upper body downwards. The goal is to get the weight pushed down from your upper body, to your legs. Do this until you feel a warm sensation in your feet.

Exercise2

Sit on a chair with your back straight. Take some deep breaths and let your belly be relaxed. Say the sound "Woooo" as deep and rich as possible, until you feel the lower part of your belly vibrate.

Exercise 3

Get help from a friend. Stand straight on your feet and let the other person stand behind you and do the following:

1. Put the hands around your ankles and press them towards the ground

2.  Put the hands around your knees and press them towards the ground

3. Put the hands around your hip and press it towards the ground

4. Put the hands upon your shoulders and press them down.

5. Put the hands around your neck and push your head upwards

...while you are standing on your feet. The goal is to get the body-weight more centered towards the ground.

Please share your exercises/tips/visualisations on how to ground yourself in your body or tell us how you did it :-)

-ART

grounding4.jpg

Edited by art
misspelling

1 minute ago, popi said:

Freeletics bodyweight!!

P.s. Great picture.

I see this is an app for working out. How excactly is this app good for becoming grounded? You can become a body builder and still not be grounded.

4 minutes ago, art said:

I see this is an app for working out. How excactly is this app good for becoming grounded? You can become a body builder and still not be grounded.

The workouts are too difficult and its not freeletics gym,its freeletics bodyweight ,so you cannot be a bodybuilder.

What do you mean grounded? 

Is there any exercise for this purpose?!

Also i liked exercise 1 and 2.

Edited by popi
add something ,always

1 minute ago, popi said:

The workouts are too difficult and its not freeletics gym,its freeletics bodyweight ,so you cannot be a bodybuilder.

What do you mean grounded? 

Is there any exercise for this purpose?!

See my original post for more details :-)

What I mean with grounding is:

Standing steady on my own feet, feeling support from the earth, like I have deep roots, as steady and heavy as mountain rock. Relaxed, centered and with great confidence. Physical independent and physcal non-needy.

This has nothing to do with muscle mass, body weight or getting fit. More that the centre of the body weight is relaxed in the lumbar, legs and feet instead of neck and shoulders as I wrote in the original post.

I have a few ideas.  Pick the one you see can make the most meaningful change and turn it into a habit. Then, add another habit every two months to your list of daily tasks until you come to the point where you have installed all of the habits you feel add value to your life. 

Here is the list of ideas: 

Exercise

Meditation 

Journaling 

Shower 

Riding on your bike to cool new places

Talk to people about yourself and your vision

Contemplation 

1 minute ago, Christian said:

I have a few ideas.  Pick the one you see can make the most meaningful change and turn it into a habit. Then, add another habit every two months to your list of daily tasks until you come to the point where you have installed all of the habits you feel add value to your life. 

Here is the list of ideas: 

Exercise

Meditation 

Journaling 

Shower 

Riding on your bike to cool new places

Talk to people about yourself and your vision

Contemplation 

Hi Christian!

The intention of this post is for very specific exercises and tips on how to become grounded in the body. I am looking for similar tips and exersices as the examples of exersices in the original post.

Thanks anyway! :-) I actually do everything you write on a daily basis (even biking in the city).

@art Hi! Try to Google "Root Chakra unbalanced muladhara ground physical body earth". Even if you don't 'believe' in chakras, the exercises and visualizations will work! Success!

1 hour ago, Eelco1981 said:

@art Hi! Try to Google "Root Chakra unbalanced muladhara ground physical body earth". Even if you don't 'believe' in chakras, the exercises and visualizations will work! Success!

Thanks!! A lot of sites and tips came up. Usually affirmations, visualizations and some yoga postures like the tree posture but often mixed with lots of new age bullshit and more vague tips.

Any exersices you would recommend for a chakra-newbie? What worked for you?

@art I am sorry for the delay, I had to look up where my technique came from. It comes from the small but powerful book "Mastery" by  George Leonard. Pages 153-160. To long to cite here... "The important point to bear in mind here is that to be psychologically balanced and centered means depends to a great extent on being physically balanced and centered." The exercise where it boils down to is when you feel top heavy, uncentered, tap yourself a few times an inch or two below your navel and take your awareness to that point. That should make you feel more centered. For the extended explication please purchase the book. Success!

16 hours ago, Eelco1981 said:

@art I am sorry for the delay, I had to look up where my technique came from. It comes from the small but powerful book "Mastery" by  George Leonard. Pages 153-160. To long to cite here... "The important point to bear in mind here is that to be psychologically balanced and centered means depends to a great extent on being physically balanced and centered." The exercise where it boils down to is when you feel top heavy, uncentered, tap yourself a few times an inch or two below your navel and take your awareness to that point. That should make you feel more centered. For the extended explication please purchase the book. Success!

I actually have that book! I shall look it up! Thanks :-) I also have stumbled over some fantastic exersices I will share in this thread soon, as I have embodied it more.

Good posture makes one feel grounded , Posture, breathing, body language and personal power are interconnected and interdependent. Think body-mind THEN add spirit.

Poor Posture invites distorted, restricted, shallow breathing and a host of other problems including lessened self respect, self expression and increased depression.

Try this. Sit down and bend over and try to breathe in. Notice how it is harder to breathe. This is an extreme example of how our muscles and tendons get over restricted and cause a lessening of depth and ease in breathing. This also restricts your esophagus, phrenic nerves, aorta, trachea, brachiocephalic vein, but most important, breathing volume and ease. http://www.breathing.com/articles/posture.htm

Edited by Beam

Okey folks. Peter Ralston knows it all. It's actually very simple. Check out his book "Zen body being". A body is "an object in space resting on the ground". So to be grounded means that your body is aligned to gravity and your muscles is relaxed. Buy the book, it explains it all and in bigger context! :-)