Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Taking A Break From Personal Development

5 posts in this topic

Personal development is difficult- there are some things that once you know them you can't unknow. And sometimes I wish I did. Sometimes I wish I went back to deep unconsciousness and played video games all day. Too late for that. So many areas of life need developing. Even the simplest things like walking can be done differently- you can be frantically thinking about something all the time or be mindful/present while walking. There are no instant gratifications in the field, you can't just pat yourself on the back and say "Good job, motherfucker! You were mindful during the walk! Yay!".  I know too much now- it burdens my existence. Too much fucking knowledge. Need to become MORE, MORE, MORE! Never enough!

I will take a break from personal development and just focus on my career, read Alan Watts books (he has 20 or so :D), watch his lectures because they are fun. I will finish all of his books- they never burden me, always bring peace. Guess when I come back to personal development, many Leo's videos will pile up and once again I will have a lot of ground to cover. Can't do it now, too burned out.

Good luck, guys!

"Difficult" 

Limiting beliefs right there. Self-development is challenging but not impossible. Self-development is not for everyone. That's why so many lead lives of mediocrity, choose bed over bread, lack self-discipline. 

Good luck tho, it's good that you realize your body/mind needs a break. Take it one day at a time, friend. :) 

Edited by Argue

Not to be a dick, but if you think you know too much, you don't know enough. I felt the same way as you at one point in my personal development, but I realized I was lying to myself. Although personal development requires many emotional difficulties, this doesn't mean that you have to frantically think about everything - or anything for that matter. It's fine to take things slow or really slow, and part of doing personal development is taking breaks and taking time to smell the roses.

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

You realize you don't do it because you HAVE to? You do it because it's effective, because it's a lot easier with it. You're almost treating it the other way around. It's not the struggle you have to go through to achieve your goals. It is the help you get to go through your struggles.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

I do relate to part of what you said as I was reading and watching way too many videos at some point, and the amount of information I was going through on a weekly basis just lead to a proper burn out.

So as you did, I took a step back and stopped watching and reading for a couple of months for my brain to digest all the information :) once I felt more at peace with myself I decided to go back to it but one step at a time, focusing on one author at a time...and giving me a break between each of them because like you I over think a lot and find it counter productive in the end...this strategy seems to work for me :)