Rilles

Youtube Channels or Books Critical Towards Science/Materialism?

11 posts in this topic

Recommendations? Its hard to step out of the culture zeitgeist of materialism and find ground breaking thinkers. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I'd suggest checking out some of Bernardo Kastrup's work in case you aren't familiar with him already. He has many good books, many good interviews on YouTube, and a youtube channel deconstructing metaphysical/ontological physicalism/materialism. 

1 minute ago, High-valance said:

I'd suggest checking out some of Bernardo Kastrup's work in case you aren't familiar with him already. He has many good books, many good interviews on YouTube, and a youtube channel deconstructing metaphysical/ontological physicalism/materialism. 

Oh yes! Of course, forgot about him! Thanks

But im interested in not just being critical towards "brain" but also evolution and other topics

The philosopher Edward Feser has some very interesting criticisms of Scientism, materialism, and New Atheism.

Edited by Boethius

The Science Delusion by Rupert Sheldrake. Also anything by Dean Radin or Russell Targ. Whole by T. Colin Campbell is a good critique of reductionism as well.

1 hour ago, tesla said:

The Science Delusion by Rupert Sheldrake. Also anything by Dean Radin or Russell Targ. Whole by T. Colin Campbell is a good critique of reductionism as well.

Realized I bought The Science Delusion and didnt read it, totally on that right now!

On 12/07/2020 at 6:08 PM, anaj said:

Shameless plug for my own book, Refuting the external world. 

https://www.amazon.com/Refuting-External-World-Goran-Backlund-ebook/dp/B00NOXW8QE

Oh Interesting! Will look into that one!

On 11/07/2020 at 7:24 PM, Boethius said:

The philosopher Edward Feser has some very interesting criticisms of Scientism, materialism, and New Atheism.

He is a Christian? 

I haven't gotten into it but there are green/yellow postmodern intellectuals, a lot of them dead. I've heard good things about Jacques Derrida. I have a book by Foucalt I've barely touched. 

Foucault's theories primarily address the relationship between power and knowledge, and how they are used as a form of social control through societal institutions.

---
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmaterialism 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

go to epistemology section of leo's book list and look at #8

it's a nice look at science decently objectively 

Creationists xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.