Kross

1 + 1 = ?

26 posts in this topic

1 + 1 = 10 in binary

tenor.gif

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

1+1 = 2 only if the units on the right and units on the left are the same.

For example, 1 cow + 1 cow = 100 glasses of milk perhaps is a correct statement

1 cow + 1 cow = 2 cows is correct.

1 cow + 1 cow = 100 cows is incorrect. ( Or you would lose a lot of money making that trade)

If we talk about infinite things, maths doesn't work. Maths breaks down at the points of infinity and 0, because it is a subject for studying finite things in an accurate way. It is in fact the most accurate of all the sciences. But if we talk about things that are empty and / or infinite, then we need to turn to Spirituality instead.  

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

I want to stress that one cannot make equations or use symbols that contain infinite values inside. Symbols are meant to represent things that are finite. You cannot contain infinity inside of a symbol, because it has no end. By putting infinity inside the symbol 1 or inside the symbol X, we are committing an error.

We can't do it. Infinity does have a symbol, but it is well known that the symbol has nothing to do with the actual infinity and doing maths with that symbol brings problems, because you are treating infinity as though it is finite, since you've placed it inside of a finite symbol and now do math with it. Good luck with that!! 

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

1 hour ago, Johnny5 said:

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.

Eventually this duality collapses to ❤️

?

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

On 01/07/2020 at 1:07 AM, Kross said:

@LarryW But why add ? By 1 +1 = 2 I'm not really trying to add 1 and 1 , but referring to the fact that two entities if accounted for , are precisely that , two entities. 'Two' entities existing from the presence of individuals.  So before adding those two droplets of water, they were two ! 

Not sure if I'm adding much to the other great posts, but just to reiterate that maths is a logical construction in our minds which we project onto the perceived external world out there, a numerical and logical map, if you like. There's trillions of drops of water, and your accounting for two in particular is a mental construction for you. Like creating a group of members and excluding the rest. One thing  I do remember from maths at uni was, when I did group theory, I had the realisation, like a train crash, that this is all made up! Even basic stuff like + - etc was deconstructed out of common sense  back to its axioms and assumptions in logic. I came to understand that the whole of maths is ultimately based on unproven assumptions, I guess that's where art and intuition comes into it.  A bit like with imaginary numbers, the square root of -1, which doesn't exist in reality, it's just made up in maths but is used in engineering for real practical applications.