liamnewsom202

Getting better with emotional support

4 posts in this topic

How do I get better with emotional support in relationships. I feel like when people come to me with strong emotions I will try and help them see a bigger picture in which they can accept the way they feel. I think for a lot of the people ive been tasked with providing support to it doesn’t make them feel better because it feels uncomfterable to not be a victim to your own situation. How can I provide support without activating my introspective personal development side and display my compassion in a way people would understand?

Realize there always is a time and place for both things. 

Sometimes you should not do much else than being there, listening and loving the other person despite of all she/he is saying.

Then at another time, when the person is not that "down", you could THEN go in and offer some more logical tips.

Love = Understanding.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

Use your heart not your mind. Drop the idea of having to get somewhere or solving the situation. 

Most times people having a hard time just want to be listened and acknowledged. So ask them questions and just listen and empathize with them. Hug them and cry with them if necessary. Be truly there, not on your head. 

Connect to Create ☼♡

@Oliver Saavedra @WaveInTheOcean  thanks for your awnsers. do you think there is ever a point where it can become straining to offer support? i feel like this is something i personally struggle with i think based on the way i struggle with my own personal development. i find for me when i feel upset i like to talk myself through it and take a step back and look at the situation. lets say i am upset and feel bad about myself, i try and look at why i feel the way i do and how its okay to feel that way. i observe the self defeating thoughts and realize that i am coming from a place of ego and not of what i truly want in the moment. from there sometimes this will be great especially when i can share it with others. i find this kind of working through and digging into is what works for me. is this not what others want? i think im struggling to understand what exactly others are looking for from me. like i dont know what to say about someone coming to me about how bad reality is. like yeah it sucks you feel so upset that its not the way you want i cant really do anything about that unless i try and do for the person what i try and do myself which they dont seem to really want lol