Itsokimok

Meditation dilemma, please offer suggestions

8 posts in this topic

So I've been diligent about my daily 1 hour meditation lately, but I have a problem. When I note the thoughts as they come and let them go by not resisting them but not holding on to them, after a while my mind settles and my awareness becomes clearer. That's how you're supposed to meditate right? However, I noticed some thoughts are really good ideas for me to contemplate later on or even just ideas about what to do to improve my life. These ideas are better quality than the ones I come up with when I'm not meditating. But when I write down these ideas as they come while meditating, my mind doesn't ever settle and I'm missing the point of meditation. But when I meditate how I'm supposed to, I'm unhappy about forgetting those thoughts and ideas that I like so much. If I don't write them down, I forget them. Any suggestions? 

What's more important to you? Mastering meditation or not lot losing a great idea?

I am a beginner level meditator but I know exactly what is happening to you. As you go to deeper levels of meditation, your subconscious mind opens up and you will get new ideas, which seem very interesting and creative. To get the ultimate insight, you still have to go deeper and deeper, like 10 times deeper and calmer than where you are now.

My advice :

1) What's your goal in meditation? Ask this question to yourself. If your goal is to get creative ideas that are very useful in material world, I suggest you stop, take notes and continue meditating from the beginning. You will get a lot of creative ideas.

2) If your goal is to awaken, gently ignore such ideas or insights (even these insights are only at the surface level, they seem to be great, but not as good as you get when you go deeper ) and focus back on the meditative object.

3) If you want both 1 and 2, do meditation twice. One specifically to get ideas, but the other one, specifically to go deeper and get the highest level of insights.

Thank you guys! That helps a loooot!! I'm willing to do meditation twice a day. 

14 minutes ago, Itsokimok said:

Thank you guys! That helps a loooot!! I'm willing to do meditation twice a day. 

You're welcome ! To make your journey more efficient, try this book : The Mind Iluminated by Culadasa 

33 minutes ago, An young being said:

You're welcome ! To make your journey more efficient, try this book : The Mind Iluminated by Culadasa 

Never heard of this. Thank you!

If the meditation is helping you come up with brilliant ideas, then it’s increasing your creativity. No need to fight that. Meditation can be used just as much for creativity as it can for “no-mind” 

Write them down and cont the meditation as you planned to its end.

Don't be fanatic about anything in life, especially not meditation

Relax man. Your thoughts and feelings are not your doing. So even you deciding to write an idea down can still be viewed as meditation. Let go and love all your thoughts and ideas, no resistance. Whatever happens is perfect/Love just because it happened. You can do no wrong

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.