Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adodd

Learning and self delusion

6 posts in this topic

I am starting Introduction to Psychology (college course) today and am thinking about how while studying amd learning it might become very easy to fall into the trap of self-delusion by becoming convinced that I now have a "true" understanding of subjects that arent  truly understood and are quite likely more complicated than what will be involved in an introductory course. 

Any tips on avoiding this or should i not worry about it so much until more advanced courses.

Just focus on the fact that Psychology isn't the Truth. It's only trying to point to the Truth. Go into it with a genuine curiousity, but try to think outside of the box they're trying to teach you to put things in. Always try to look at everything with a wider perspective and an open mind to the possiblity that there's more to reality than the theories and concepts that other limited humans have come up with. It's a good place to start, but pave your own path and try to see things that other's aren't seeing in the systems at play. Good luck and have fun. ?

Worrying about it isn't going to solve the problem.

If you're serious, start independently contemplating life. You will never reach quality understanding without thinking tons of things through deeply for yourself in your own free time.

True understanding requires going above and beyond anything that any human can tell you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Teaching others what you learn is a sure way of understanding something better. 

Remember to use the concepts as what they actually are: Pointers towards what is True and not Truth itself. 

One way of testing if you have a solid "true" understanding of a subject is to apply it to the real world and see how effective you are. 

@Leo Gura Do you find that learning about such topics like psychology has helped you come to a "true" understanding even though what they taught might not have always be fundamentally "true"? 

@Himanshu When learning a new subject i will frequently ask myself "Could I teach this to someone else right now?" If the answer isnt yes I do more studying.

Edited by Adodd
Clarity