WaveInTheOcean

What *are* psychedelics? (What is a psychedelic, how does it work, etc.)

7 posts in this topic

I will try to explain it with an analogy of a video game.
Imagine that you are a character inside a video game and that the video game is programmed with a certain type of programming language/code, that sets up certain determined rules of the game.

All characters are programmed to understand and interact precisely with this programming-language/typed code, and with its rules. This is applicable to 100% of the characters. Until now, there is no way out of the constraints of this code and its rules, because that's just how the code works.

But suddenly, imagine that we inject into this video game: a hack. This hack is a script, that if run against the characters, they will be able to “step out” of the code/game and its rules for some brief time. During this time, they will be able to completely perceive and operate without any rules/programming. This could even mean realizing that they are inside a video game and that this video game is not actual reality, but just a small part of it -- of an actual infinite, eternal, more whole, ‘more real’ reality.

To the ‘characters’ who managed to step outside and see the existence of this “whole new reality”, they will call this: Infinity/God/Consciousness/etc. Also, some of them will no longer consider the script/hack an ‘object of the code of the video game', because the script/hack itself will let them see that the code/game itself and its rules were just that: programming, code, game, fake, illusion. It was not grounded in anything *real*.

Now, substitute:
video game by what you call real life;
character by what you consider ‘a person’;
code by rationality/logic/causality;
rules by science/materialism/natural laws;
‘stepping outside’ by spirituality;
script/hack by: psychedelic / meditation / self-torture / ”rare character”.

( - Credit for this analogy is not to me. I copy-pasted it some time ago -- saved it on my PC, and then, now, edited it slightly -- from a dude here on this forum. Can't remember his/her name.)

<3

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

They can disrupt the normal functioning of the Mind...

They can reveal that there is an alternative way of thinking and perceiving or lack thereof...

They can shed light on the fact that there is something beyond the thinking mind...

They are handy wake-up calls to snap 'ME' out of pathological thinking and the unnecessary suffering it creates...

"The ego construct is nothing more than the impulse to repeat. It is simply the path that energy once took, and the tendency for the energy to take that path again, whether it is negative or positive for the organism" -- Samadhi (Maya illusion of the self)

Are hallucinogenics and drugs necessary for Awakening... of course not.

Can they assist in Awakening... of course they can. (for reasons mentioned above)

Can hallucinogenics and Other Drugs have negative effects... it depends on what you perceive as negative.

Can hallucinogenics or other drugs expand consciousness... if you consider expanding Consciousness as a different way of thinking and perceiving then yes... do they create a potential that wasn't there before... no they do not.(unless the potential of not using the thinking mind is realized)

Now let's get deep...

What is before the thinking mind...

What is there besides the thought of what is there...

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@VeganAwake Nice post. Yes, they can only assist in awakening. Nothing more. Of course they can also do harm. Have respect for these powerful tools, man.

There is already a psychedelic that can disrupt the normal functioning of mind inside everyone's brains. Serotonin :D 

What is before the thinking mind... The opposite

What is there besides the thought of what is there... The opposite

The first opposite is nothingness, the second is Awareness.

Thinking Mind = Nothingness

Thoughts = Awareness

Non-duality 101.

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

The real unreal...❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Just now, VeganAwake said:

The real unreal...❤

The unreal real ❤

It's not like the psychedelics are a glitch. They affect your brain, lessening the grasp of ego-mind. Whether you are imagining your brain or not, that is the way it works in this reality. 

Sounds materialistic, but it's not. Leo once said here that  "Chemistry is a very deep layer of the dream". 

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

22 hours ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

I will try to explain it with an analogy of a video game.
Imagine that you are a character inside a video game and that the video game is programmed with a certain type of programming language/code, that sets up certain determined rules of the game.

All characters are programmed to understand and interact precisely with this programming-language/typed code, and with its rules. This is applicable to 100% of the characters. Until now, there is no way out of the constraints of this code and its rules, because that's just how the code works.

But suddenly, imagine that we inject into this video game: a hack. This hack is a script, that if run against the characters, they will be able to “step out” of the code/game and its rules for some brief time. During this time, they will be able to completely perceive and operate without any rules/programming. This could even mean realizing that they are inside a video game and that this video game is not actual reality, but just a small part of it -- of an actual infinite, eternal, more whole, ‘more real’ reality.

To the ‘characters’ who managed to step outside and see the existence of this “whole new reality”, they will call this: Infinity/God/Consciousness/etc. Also, some of them will no longer consider the script/hack an ‘object of the code of the video game', because the script/hack itself will let them see that the code/game itself and its rules were just that: programming, code, game, fake, illusion. It was not grounded in anything *real*.

Now, substitute:
video game by what you call real life;
character by what you consider ‘a person’;
code by rationality/logic/causality;
rules by science/materialism/natural laws;
‘stepping outside’ by spirituality;
script/hack by: psychedelic / meditation / self-torture / ”rare character”.

( - Credit for this analogy is not to me. I copy-pasted it some time ago -- saved it on my PC, and then, now, edited it slightly -- from a dude here on this forum. Can't remember his/her name.)

<3

Nice analogy.

Psychedelics are a powerful illusion which can show the way to transcend illusion.

Fo not underestimate their value. They are far more powerful than the service “mystical” experience. They are the radical illumination of insight in which surpasses the ordinary ignorance of mind.

Edited by Jacobsrw