Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JulyStairs

What The Hell Is Truth?

12 posts in this topic

My dad and I got into an discussion on why I don't like going to church and why I was resisting the gospel ( mormon gospel). He was trying understand why I was like this. In a sense, he was right that I was resisting the gospel. This showed me that my ego was trying to defend something. At the same time though, he was getting emotional about how happy he was to be going to church and how positive things are at the house (in my opinion, seems like the same before he started going back). Anyways, there came a point where he said that the church was the only truth on the earth. I told what happens if the church was wiped out from the earth and he said that it will never happen because the scriptures said it never will. I asked him again and he said the same thing. He said that if whether the church is wiped out or not, the "gospel" is eternal and is the truth. According to him, the way that I discover the truth is by going to church classes and participating, reading the scriptures, and praying to heavenly father (god) if everything in the scriptures are true. Near the end, he said that he would protect the truth. At the end, he said that he wanted me to be open-minded about things with the church. When I talked about other religions, he said that he would "take their books" if offered one and read it , but still said that the gospel is the truth, clearly showing that he wasn't going to change his mind if the truth wasn't the gospel. So I know that my father is dogmatic but more importantly this showed that I was dogmatic about something. So my question is whether he is right about finding the truth. If it or isn't the truth then how do I be open-minded about the church or other things without resisting them? (p.s I posted this here because it has to deal with finding the truth)

Anyways thanks!

50 minutes ago, Julio Escalera said:

My dad and I got into an discussion on why I don't like going to church and why I was resisting the gospel ( mormon gospel). He was trying understand why I was like this. In a sense, he was right that I was resisting the gospel. This showed me that my ego was trying to defend something. At the same time though, he was getting emotional about how happy he was to be going to church and how positive things are at the house (in my opinion, seems like the same before he started going back). Anyways, there came a point where he said that the church was the only truth on the earth. I told what happens if the church was wiped out from the earth and he said that it will never happen because the scriptures said it never will. I asked him again and he said the same thing. He said that if whether the church is wiped out or not, the "gospel" is eternal and is the truth. According to him, the way that I discover the truth is by going to church classes and participating, reading the scriptures, and praying to heavenly father (god) if everything in the scriptures are true. Near the end, he said that he would protect the truth. At the end, he said that he wanted me to be open-minded about things with the church. When I talked about other religions, he said that he would "take their books" if offered one and read it , but still said that the gospel is the truth, clearly showing that he wasn't going to change his mind if the truth wasn't the gospel. So I know that my father is dogmatic but more importantly this showed that I was dogmatic about something. So my question is whether he is right about finding the truth. If it or isn't the truth then how do I be open-minded about the church or other things without resisting them? (p.s I posted this here because it has to deal with finding the truth)

Anyways thanks!

your father is religious, with a false religious belief system, you cant defeat a belief system particularly a religious one, all religions are nothing but cults, people who are weak, fearful, insecure. programed and brainwashed.  i hope this dont offend you , you wanted the truth

53 minutes ago, Julio Escalera said:

Anyways thanks!

and if you become religious you will never know the truth either,  truth can only be found in the moment of life, and you cannot experience the moment of life as a human identity, but you can experience it from the real part of you, 

@Julio Escalera Leo has a good video called 'All Of Religion Explained In One Video' where he explains how and why religions of the world originated and what their teachings mean (different from what the church teaches):

This one is good too:

@Julio Escalera

You can be open minded by getting to know yourself a bit better psychologically.

If you understand that you have your own unique worldview, and learn to accept that, you can learn to accept that others have their own unique worldviews too.

You might be using certain tools like resistance and dogma because it's the only way you can maintain your individuality.  But this is a stage along the way, ideally you want to become "pluralistic" and the way to do that is to understand that everyone (including you) lives in their own reality, and this is our right.

Edited by Mal

Truth is definitely not a belief.

It's not even something you can access with your 5 senses or the mind.

You literally have no way of accessing it.

But there is one possibility: remove the "you".

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Truth is definitely not a belief.

It's not even something you can access with your 5 senses or the mind.

You literally have no way of accessing it.

But there is one possibility: remove the "you".

....But then there is no longer a "you" to claim ownership of Truth!

Aww shucks... 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

@Julio Escalera this is something i was thinking recently, it's easy to tell religious people they're wrong for believing in something and being dogmatic about it but that just distracts us from our own dogmatic views we have against religious people and beyond 

I guess the answer to your question on the way to stop resisting others beliefs and shutting them off lies in Leo's video titled All of Human Knowledge Explained

what it teaches is that everything everyone thinks they know is all a belief, so if you get annoyed at your father telling you God exists, remember you're playing the same game by thinking atoms exist, same thing expressing itself in different ways, we're all more alike than we think, then all you can do is smile at people's opinions and not care to defend your own :) 

This is about removing resistance and I think that's all you really need for open-mindedness, you don't need to accept as truth what everyone tells you, believe what you feel you want to but remember it's a belief and not truth, and religious stuff likewise is belief and not truth, then you're free to pick the beliefs you want for your life 

You didn't offend me at all @charlie2dogs . It's just that I don't want to leave any avenues for looking for the truth, even if that meant considering religion. I was religious before so I was almost about to consider it, but I didn't.

Thanks for showing me Leo's video on this topic @Natasha . It showed me that I was in a trap that I have built, taking what Leo said and making it into a belief. ( I would probably have to watch it dozens of time to understand the depth of it.)

You just made clicked in my mind why I was resisting the "gospel" @Mal . Wow, this just makes so much sense to me! I just have a question then, if everyone lives their own reality then is it not real because it's made up? Then still just learn to accept other people's realities (worldviews) regardless of whether its real or not? Thanks for the insight again! 

Yeah, I was distracting my own dogmatic views I have about reigious people and other things  @Saarah . I thought I wasn't going to fall in the trap, but I did because I thought that doing enlightment work later on in life was an excuse to "fall in the trap". I would probably have to watch that video again. I guess would need to do consciousness work right now in order to remove the resistance so that I can be more open-minded. It just that I'm afraid that I would waste my life looking in the wrong place for the truth. Even though religion looks silly to me, I was still considering it.

I'm just also skeptic of enlightenment because I don't to waste my time looking for truth in the wrong places unless it is the right place (doesn't also mean that I'm not skeptic of religion too). Because I could be 20 years looking for the truth, but it doesn't "show up". But the only way to find out is to find out for myself. Anyways, thanks for your responses guys!

@Julio Escalera Julio. 

*Not intended as inflammatory*

How can you talk about other peoples realities being made up while "you" are inside your own dream?

Can you see the absurdity of your thinking?

1 hour ago, Julio Escalera said:

You didn't offend me at all @charlie2dogs . It's just that I don't want to leave any avenues for looking for the truth, even if that meant considering religion. I was religious before so I was almost about to consider it, but I didn't.

Thanks for showing me Leo's video on this topic @Natasha . It showed me that I was in a trap that I have built, taking what Leo said and making it into a belief. ( I would probably have to watch it dozens of time to understand the depth of it.)

You just made clicked in my mind why I was resisting the "gospel" @Mal . Wow, this just makes so much sense to me! I just have a question then, if everyone lives their own reality then is it not real because it's made up? Then still just learn to accept other people's realities (worldviews) regardless of whether its real or not? Thanks for the insight again! 

Yeah, I was distracting my own dogmatic views I have about reigious people and other things  @Saarah . I thought I wasn't going to fall in the trap, but I did because I thought that doing enlightment work later on in life was an excuse to "fall in the trap". I would probably have to watch that video again. I guess would need to do consciousness work right now in order to remove the resistance so that I can be more open-minded. It just that I'm afraid that I would waste my life looking in the wrong place for the truth. Even though religion looks silly to me, I was still considering it.

I'm just also skeptic of enlightenment because I don't to waste my time looking for truth in the wrong places unless it is the right place (doesn't also mean that I'm not skeptic of religion too). Because I could be 20 years looking for the truth, but it doesn't "show up". But the only way to find out is to find out for myself. Anyways, thanks for your responses guys!

Julio, what is truth and where is it?

On 7/15/2016 at 11:30 AM, JulyStairs said:

I'm just also skeptic of enlightenment because I don't to waste my time looking for truth in the wrong places unless it is the right place

Don't forget to be skeptical of your own skepticism. Leave nothing undoubted.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.