Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedLine

Is it mandatory to practice samadhi to improve?

9 posts in this topic

According to TMI, you cannot avoid practicing samadhi (concentration on a object) because it is one of the components of vipassana (concentration on one point + awareness of everything). Thus, exclusively practicing mindfulness (be aware of everything,  How To Meditate - The No Bullshit Guide to Meditation) is a mistake. So, as long as I understad, it is not possible to improve on you spiritual path if you don´t master concentartion, according to Culadasa.

This contrasts with some zen masters who only practice "just sit, be present and be aware of everything" and also with Leo, who, as ar far as I know, didn´t practice concentrarion at one point, just awareness of everything.

I have been paying attention to stomach breathing for months, and I am getting worse and worse; a lot of mental rubbish and breathing ceases to interest me anymore. However, practicing mindfulness + strong determination sit I get quite momentum and feel good. Should I abandon samadhi? Would it harm my spiritual progression?

@ardacigin

I only practised concentration for a few months of my life then I stopped, but my progression continued.

On 27/4/2020 at 0:20 PM, ShivaShakti said:

I only practised concentration for a few months of my life then I stopped, but my progression continued.

There are several people who report this, so it raises some questions for me about the TMI theory.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:58 AM, RedLine said:

I have been paying attention to stomach breathing for months, and I am getting worse and worse; a lot of mental rubbish and breathing ceases to interest me anymore. However, practicing mindfulness + strong determination sit I get quite momentum and feel good. Should I abandon samadhi? Would it harm my spiritual progression?

@ardacigin

5 hours ago, Nahm said:

You’re looking at thousands, maybe tens of thousands of hours of concentration practice. 

I don´t understand you. Do you mean that it takes thousands of hours of concentration practice to achieve enlightenment? If you want to say this, I disagree. As far as I know, there are some schools that only practice attention to everything, not concentration on one objective.

Edited by RedLine

12 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@RedLine

Nothing could be found at every school, but it would take no more than a hundred thousand hours. 

Still can´t understand you

Do you think samadhi is mandatory or not?

@RedLine

On 4/27/2020 at 5:58 AM, RedLine said:

I have been paying attention to stomach breathing for months, and I am getting worse and worse; a lot of mental rubbish and breathing ceases to interest me anymore.

Imo you quit just as the practice was helping. Let the body & mind take out the rubbish. That is the desired effect, not a side effect. There are underlying beliefs, misunderstandings, and misinterpretations. That’s why it feels scary and often frustrating, and that’s what’s emptying. You can take concentration to incredible levels, you can also inspect beliefs, emotions, direct experience, and release a lot of what is obscuring concentration. 

However, practicing mindfulness + strong determination sit I get quite momentum and feel good. Should I abandon samadhi? Would it harm my spiritual progression?

Every single thought & the being or content of it, is samadhi. What is best for your body and mind to release & realize more well being, and concentrate more naturally? What does feeling say? What does conscience say?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE