Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beginner Mind

The Practice of "Just Sitting"

9 posts in this topic

"Just Sitting" is the most simple meditation practice one could ever do.  You simply sit and do nothing. I've found it to be very powerful.  It seems that our true nature has a tendency to reveal itself when we sit still for long enough.  Have you guys tried this?

@Beginner Mind I had a blackout once and we had no wifi or anything left and I actually started experiencing withdrawals. It is surprisingly difficult to do nothing.

I think this is the same as the Do Nothing meditation.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

@Osaid I've found this practice quite easy to do.  I suppose some people are just more suited for it than others.

And yes, "Just Sitting" and "Do Nothing" are probably synonymous terms.  However, I prefer "Just Sitting" over "Do Nothing" as "Do Nothing" subtly implies that you're doing something (you are doing the activity of nothing).

It's great, but for me only words if it comes naturally. Like, I'm having a realization or a very conscious day and I just sit down because I want to inspect the silence, the expansion is too much to be concerned with stimuli.

If I do it like an habit, it easily turns into "just sitting here waiting for something to happen". 

@Javfly33 It's not quite a habit for me yet as I've only been practicing for a few days, but I'll keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, Beginner Mind said:

@Javfly33 It's not quite a habit for me yet as I've only been practicing for a few days, but I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah although don´t be discouraged, even as an habit it will be better than scrolling through instagram feed lol

3 hours ago, Beginner Mind said:

"Just Sitting" is the most simple meditation practice one could ever do.  You simply sit and do nothing. I've found it to be very powerful.  It seems that our true nature has a tendency to reveal itself when we sit still for long enough.  Have you guys tried this?

For me, sitting silently is a powerful "realignment" tool. If I'm getting too lost in the mind, this practise reminds me that the answers are found within the silence. I stopped all practises for 3 or 4 days a number of weeks back and just sat silently and it was the best thing I could have done. It taught me that, even though there is different content within each different meditative exercise, the most important thing is remembering that the answers are found in the absence of everything...in the silence

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

Yeah although don´t be discouraged, even as an habit it will be better than scrolling through instagram feed lol

xD Indeed.

@Aaron p Yes, I've come to appreciate the silence more and more.  It used to be an enemy, now it's my companion.