SvanteTheBeast

Concentration on the breath

7 posts in this topic

I recently watched Leo’s video on the importance of concentration. Can anyone please give or link some instructions on how to correctly do concentration practise on the breathe. Is there something different than the normal “be aware and count your breathes” style

Focusing on the breath is one of the most common and most simple practice. You can´t really go wrong there. You should however try to not count your breaths if you don´t need to. It can be helpful if you feel very distracted thou but makes you concentrate on counting as well as breathing and you want to concentrate on one thing. 
Here is a link that might be of interest to you:

I understand you but what in the breathe should I focus on? There so many things going on.

@SvanteTheBeast , focusing on the breath itself is the goal, as far as I know. This is a technique in mindfulness meditation. Pay attention to the breath when you inhale and exhale, it's temperature, it's volume

24 minutes ago, Victor Mgazi said:

@SvanteTheBeast , focusing on the breath itself is the goal, as far as I know. This is a technique in mindfulness meditation. Pay attention to the breath when you inhale and exhale, it's temperature, it's volume

Exactly. And some say they try to force a certain rythm, make it slower (usually yoga) and some say keep it natural, as it is and I think thats the way to go.
Some people say you should focus on the the moment the breath turns from going in and out, and going out and in, Id say just keep your awareness with the breath.
Some say keep focus on only the nostrils (Vipassana) some say other things. It´s a djungle of opinions really...
No need to complicate things...thats just the mind wanting to think instead of being present ;-) 

2 helpful tips for technique that I found helpful at least...are the following

- it's not so much you "doing" a practice, more that you cease to do any practise and the breath is just, there. And it stays, there...for however long. 

- dropping all spiritual techniques and replacing them with actuality. This is a strange one, but for me...I found that when people told me to "watch my breath" I would imagine the breath entering my lungs. Notice, not the breath itself. So for me it's important to start with Actuality and work from there rather than starting from an idea about looking at the breath. Actuality will be very quiet and empty. Intuition is a must

8 hours ago, luckieluuke said:

Focusing on the breath is one of the most common and most simple practice. You can´t really go wrong there. You should however try to not count your breaths if you don´t need to. It can be helpful if you feel very distracted thou but makes you concentrate on counting as well as breathing and you want to concentrate on one thing. 
Here is a link that might be of interest to you:

This.