Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter124

What are useful techniques to escape the moralist paradigm?

4 posts in this topic

Advice, testimonies, guidenace, anything would help.

I feel stuck still in moralism and am seeking help to get me out.

To better help you, what do you feel is keeping you stuck?

To start, straight up contemplation helps. Take a moralist duality. Create a story that proves your conventional mortality wrong. Do this over and over and over until you really start to get the point. This can be done with any duality. For example, let's look at "killing is wrong". Make up a story to prove it wrong. Would killing Hitler be wrong if it prevented a genocide? Would killing a dying animal or person in excruciating pain, begging for death be wrong? You get the point. This takes care of the logical side of this problem. The other main problem is the emotional barrier to transcending morality. Again, I could help you better if you provide more information, but the emotional barrier will likely boil down to fear.

Transformation and Healing Course Coming Soon! https://www.youtube.com/c/davidmillervideos

Infinite unconditional love! You can't beat that one! ;)

Just look at your body in total presence and see that masterpiece of body. Not think about it, let silence "speak". Any morality is just a shout of the mind which itself doesn't know how to love itself. Only the heart really knows .

I have had a lot of difficulty with moralizing myself, but in recent years my moralizing faded more and more.  My main cure was self observation.  I noticed how I was manufacturing my own guilt and how it made me hate myself.  This is how I realized that I was lying to myself in my moralizing as I was hyper rational as well.  One thought I never believed was that I should kill myself under any circumstances.

First, by realizing how much moralizing hurts, you build a vision of how you would think and behave if you loved yourself.  This can lead to you seeing that evil is created by your mind as you imagine values to compare yourself against.  This applies to moralizing against others as well where you deny your similarities and look righteous.  This further exposed the lies in moralizing.

Secondly, you can realize that guilt is a dysfunctional survival strategy.  Guilt is ineffective for achieving your goals and it drains your energy.  This is not resourceful and I used guilt in order to get myself to act in a way that most people found pleasing and I still struggled.  I constantly made people feel uncomfortable anyway.

Finally, I often equated my immoral thought I had to the act itself.  This false equivalency lead to me beating myself up more.  Nowadays instead of pushing thoughts away, I observe what the thought is and without beating myself up, I explain how this thought can lead to moral anxiety.  I notice the fear and judgement of builds up in me and if I love myself, then I would not do this to myself.

The main cure is self observation, realizing the pain you cause yourself, and ultimately that your moralizing is not true, it is just self generated suffering.  I don't mean to repeat spiritual teachings you heard, this was my direct experience from self reflection.  I have become more and more disinterested in moralizing, and suicide caused by drowning ourselves in guilt is no longer a problem.