DrewNows

Hidden spirituality in the movie “Spirited Away”

5 posts in this topic

Here’s a deeper look/reflection of various characters and scenes in the movie Spirited Away, one of my favorites growing up for its mystery and uniqueness 

The video is poor and shallow.

I'll give you the explicit and unadulterated fine print.

I've never previously shared this analysis anywhere and I've never seen this analysis made by anyone.

In 'Spirited Away', all the "spirits" are human beings; all the "human beings" are "spirits".

When Chihiro is in the car in the supposed "human world", she's physically dead; when Chihiro is in the "spirit world", that's her physical incarnation.

All the transportation symbolism in the film can be understood as transition between life and death.

All the money and work symbolism in the film is self-explanatory, as the Bathhouse represents the worldly society of human beings.

Why did her parents turn into pigs? They literally incarnated as pigs.

In the "spirit world" (that is, Chihiro's apparent physical incarnation), Kanaoshi ("No Face") is a representation of the human ego, specifically Chihiro's own ego while physically incarnated. Chihiro herself represents the wisdom and purity of her soul.

Yubaba (Owner of Bathhouse) and Zeniba (Twin sister who looks identical to Yubaba, but is a totally different woman) represents two sides of Maya. After you "take a good bath", it all still looks the same but functions totally differently.

If you've ever studied Western esotericism, Greek esotericism, or ancient Egyptian/Kemetian esotericism, you should be familiar with some allegorical stories being told in complete reverse.

They did this back in the day so that only initiates understood what was even being said. There's no need for secrecy in this day and age.

I don't know how much of this Miyazaki himself thought through. Whatever the case, it certainly came through.

He who has the sight of god sees truth in everything.

B R E A T H E

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi