PursuitofLight

Training in the gym for optimal health

5 posts in this topic

Im curious as to what sort of exercise regime in and out of the gym would be conducive to reaching high levels of physical health?

Currently i feel that a mix of low to moderate weight training 3-4 times a week, focussing on compound exercises, body awareness and correct form/breathing. Alongside a mix of enjoyable cardio pursuits such as cycling, running, walking, swimming etc. With sufficient time and quality rest with YOGA or stretching excercies to aid recovery.

Im not intrested in purely aesthetics or bodybuilding as i feel it to be quite a vanity trap and harmful to spiritual growth.

:)

@Red-White-Light That's a great graphic! 

@PursuitofLight I am on the same journey as you, looking to train for enjoyment and overall health of the body first and foremost, however, I, of course, want to also look good simultaneously, which paradoxically happens when we train to our fullest potential and eat a healthy diet! Training purely for aesthetics will never fulfill you, it's like running a business solely for money. When you operate at a 'higher' level your business (body) still needs money to survive though, so there's nothing wrong with wanting to also look good and build muscle, the issues arise when we train SOLELY for that reason- like me when I was 15 thinking not being skinny would help with girls! However, you have to give Kudos to Bodybuilders work ethic, even the steroid abusers, the work and dedication it takes to build that much muscle is insane! But, also very damaging to the body if your pumping yourself with drugs every day. 

I would say as well as 'light to moderate' you want to add in heavy compound lifts, not just light accessory work. It's actually dense, wiry muscle that is most associated with longevity and overall health, and doing this will, of course, help build your strength as well. 5x5, Rest Pause Training etc, whatever one resonates most with you!

I like your mix, cardio and stretching is essential. I'd also add in some 'group/community' exercise in the mix, don't underestimate the power of socializing. I play cricket for 5 months a year so that's how I get mine, you can try group exercise classes, or join a sports team, whatever floats your boat, but honestly, the social side of Cricket for me makes it 10000x better. #

I'm going to link some Ben Greenfield articles who talks a lot about this: 

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/anti-aging-articles/how-to-look-good-naked-and-live-a-long-time/

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/fitness-articles/workouts-exercise-articles/longevity-training/

I personally follow a modified Kinobody training program as I like how minimalistic it is, but you can find something you like online!

Forgot to add I'm personally vegan for ethical and health reasons, however, if you eat plant-based you're going to need certain adjustments to your diet to optimize it for muscle building.

Edited by LfcCharlie4

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@LfcCharlie4 Thanks for the useful insights, i will follow those links and investigate further! also i feel i overlooked the social aspect of cardio so what you said got some cogs turning. :)

@LfcCharlie4 The articles you've mentioned immediately came on my mind when I've read the question! Like I'm not kidding, exactly the 2 articles :D

Ben Greenfield is perhaps the most knowledgable guy on fitness.

He's a big fan of lifting and tabatas and stuff but what he stresses the most is low-level physical activity throughout the day, at least for longevity.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)