Max_V

Majoring Philosophy

6 posts in this topic

After a lot of thought during my teens and now early twenties I came to the conclusion that I have deep interest in the study of Philosophy, and so plan to visit schools, become more informed, and if everything affirms my existing interest I will apply and hopefully eventually enroll.

In this thread I want to discuss with likeminded individuals, and perhaps people who are currently doing the study or have completed it, the field of Philosophy itself, and what it is like to pursue it academically.

My first question to people who have in some way been involved, what are your thoughts on the major and what has your experience been like?

Regards,

Max

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Major in it if you want, but don't pursue it academically. It's a waste of time. You will not get to the Truth that way.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It depends. If you have to go into dept for university - don't do it. Even if not I can't recommend it. Majors in something that will realistically earn you money. Ok, Leo for example studied philosophy, but how many people have a master in philosophy and go nowhere with it ?

You can learn Philosophy better and deeper with readings books, writing a philosophy blog , go to philosophy groups or forums....

I freaking love philosophy. I love it so much in fact that I would pull my hair out if I had to sit in a philosophy lecture and hear some professor teach me about metaphysics or epistemology.

That's a looooot of money that you're paying a university to barely even scratch the surface of what the true meaning of philosophy is...

Oh and don't even get me started on essays. Just make sure you use reputable sources. That means anything outside the currently accepted paradigm is not allowed. ;)

For the record, I am in the same position as you are. This is how I see the situation.

I see university in terms of its opportunity cost. What ELSE could I be doing with that time and money?

- meditation retreats

- reading real philosophy books

- start a business 

Sorry if I didn't answer your question about what it's like to pursue the major... but  I have had discussions in depth with friends who have actually majored in philosophy. After majoring in philosophy and then watching every video on actualized.org. My 25 year-old friend told me that he didn't learn 1 thing in school. Especially compared to the quality of info here for free at your fingertips.

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@Leo Gura Just so we are on the same page, when you say don’t pursue academically you mean studying past a bachelors? 

I know thought in the way it is used in contemporary philosophy won’t get me to Truth. But that’s not why I want to study it, Truth is something I will pursue during my life, regardless if I study or not. I mainly want to study philosophy to get a grasp of how through the ages a whole lot of different people have been thinking about problems and how they go about solving them. Learning to a wide range of perspectives and way of thought is important to me.

Also, I think going to school again is something that’d help with my overal development. Being around people again,  grounding myself in the person I want to be and expressing myself that way is where I need growth.

@supremeyingyang Money/income is not a reason why I would study something. Although I have heared there are plenty of jobs that benefit from a philosophy major, in the end I want to study it for my development, I am setting my sights on making money on my own.

@Adam M I’m not going to school to get learn more about self-actualization. That is something I can do on my own. I want to learn how to debate, write, discuss, and integrate multiple perspectives of thought.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Max_V

Yeah yeah yeah, you $tudy not 4 da monay. But you pay for it if you choose to do it in an university. Do you see why you should earn money with your degree ? That is nothing to be ashamed of. It's not black or white. You don't hear about the people who fell off.
Ok, I know you are likely an Idealist. I told the same stuff you tell us now like ten years ago and I'm still cool with that. I did what you did - i studied without money in mind. I tell you from what I experience and what I see from my peers that you just need to think about how you earn money.
Don't be the dude with a masters degree in whatever useless fieldbut 0 impact and skill AND huge debt. That's all I say.

Edited by supremeyingyang