Seth

How to ignore half the food in the house...

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I am currently living with my mom until I go to college and I've spent the past few years trying to clean up my diet but then my mom started buying a bunch more shit. And it is hard to ignore shit.

Icecream, cookies, chocolate, etc

How do I find the willpower to not eat the icecream and pizza in the freezer? I've tried for a long time and I haven't  been able to do it consistently.

It would be so much easier if I only had to resist the urge once every two weeks (by just not buying it).

Edited by Seth

Have you sat down with your mom and had this conversation with her? Perhaps she’s willing to stop buying those foods...

Regardless, physically removing the food is still a surface level solution.

Sit with the cravings. Bring more awareness to when you have the desire to eat “x” food.

Something I like to do (I’m a struggling food addict and this helps me) is simply meditate on the food. Like literally, I’ll stand there and stare at the ice cream, cake, cookie, etc. I’ll breath in deeply and ask myself deep down “do I really want this? Will this support me in becoming the highest version of myself?”

Repeat these questions for a few minutes.

Because of this act, I’ll often simply drop the desire to eat it. Notice how good this feels to do.

Aaaaand other times I’ll go on a food binge anyways?

Im far from perfect but creating that space in between the craving and the act of eating “x” food benefits me tremendously... hope that helps bro

The game of survival cannot be won. 

1. Offer to buy healthier alternatives. Make your own cookies without eggs and sugar with nuts and oats. Buy a 90% chocolate, instead of icecream make your own from frozen bananas and cherries and coconut milk. 

2. Second tip, what was already said, put a picture of someone that inspires you inside the cupboard with the sweets, as long as your mom is ok with it. Or a small mirror that will put you out of autopilot and remind you that you are strong enough to resist. 

3. Have a big bowl of fruit always available in your room. Whenever cravings hit you, grab an apple or two and if that doesn't help and you still want to indulge, go for it. This way you'll be making healthier choices and also nobody has even been harmed from munching on fruit. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

There was a time in my life when I would open the refrigerator to get ice to add to water and instead pick up the ice cream box next to it. So I would eat ice cream when I was thirsty. 

For me personally, the change was very gradual and not intentional, I started exercising and journalling and resolving some emotional issues and my cravings gradually died down over a span of 2-3 years. Today evening I had several guests over who were all eating my favorite ice cream. I did not feel even like giving it a glance. 

But I did try other few things which can be termed as 'conscious actions'. 

You cannot force your mom to change her diet. You can change yours. Here's how: Place a healthier counterpart of the unhealthy stuff next to it. For example, Yogurt with honey next to ice cream. Dates and raisins next to cookies and chocolates and cut salad next to a pizza. Place the objects such that whenever you 'see' the unhealthy items, you are also forced to notice the healthy ones. You could set a reminder on your phone to beep every hour to remind you to eat healthy. The change won't happen in a day or a week or even a month. But very slowly, if you keep at it, you will find yourself changing. Don't be disappointed with relapses in the mean time. And do not feel guilty.

Remember you do not want to learn how to 'resist the urge'. You want to not have the urge in the first place. Then the whole world might be eating whatever the hell they want, you would remain unperturbed. 

You gotta create a strong belief system in your mind that associates those foods with tremendous pain. At the moment, you may be treating them like they are still pleasurable potential foods, but here we are talking about how it is unhealthy and how to stop eating them. 

You must re-assess what you believe about these foods and their relation to you. In other words, treat them like you treat heroin! Once you have that kind of belief and understanding, they won't even become an option for you. You'll walk into the kitchen and you will only see viable food option which eventually become only healthy foods as you resolve and define what is potentially pleasurable for you.

This is pretty much how I quit eating Doritos as someone who had trouble and overindulged on them often. 

I learned this technique through Tony Robbins Awaken the Giant within book, so I recommend that.