VeganAwake

Perfect Dark Night of the Soul explanation!!

28 posts in this topic

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God."

Acim

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

"The full awareness of the Atonement, then, is the recognition that the separation never occurred. The ego cannot prevail against this because it is an explicit statement that the ego never occurred"

- ACIM

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

26 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God."

Acim

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@VeganAwake Nice video and quotes, thanks for posting.:)

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

If the ego doesn’t exist, how does one transcend something that isn’t there? It may not be a single thing, more the collection of unconscious and consciously understood conditioning, both socially and in relation to the concept of you. What you probably mean is, we mistake these ideas to be true and unchanging. They are beliefs which we take to be true, permanent, unchangeable characteristics. 

So maybe we could say, there must be the direct realisation that what we thought was our self as an entity with these characteristics and properties and beliefs about itself, is actually a “construct”. So we are mistaken about what is there, confused. What we really are, pure awareness, has been “possessed” by this construct, and we have been mistaken about our true nature. These self beliefs which also contain and restrain us are not the truth, but rather have been mis attributed based on years of interactions with the world and other people, these interactions have produced within us, observations about these interactions, and other “people” have also imprinted their observations on us, either by words or action, no matter how subtle, which our minds have taken into this construct and updated it.

Once one has a realisation that they are not this, and that what this ego really is is what has been described, they need to continue to keep this in mind, as the ego continually tries to draw them back into this illusion/delusion. By remaining aware of ones true nature one can remain “above” or “outside” of the ego’s grasp, remaining in a place the ego knows nothing about and can’t access.

This is my understanding thus far, I may be wrong. However I think it’s not quite correct to say the ego doesn’t exist, more so that we have been mistaken about both our and it’s true nature. It’s an illusion, in the sense of the word used by magicians, a trick, something completely different than what we were led to believe it was.

@Spaceofawareness Nice post!

26 minutes ago, Spaceofawareness said:

However I think it’s not quite correct to say the ego doesn’t exist, more so that we have been mistaken about both our and it’s true nature. It’s an illusion

To me, ego does exist, but it's not real, its illusion, but I've loosened up a bit about expecting others to say it just like I would say it. Also, I only mean it exists in the sense that its experienced, but it's not a separate, volitional entity. It is like you said, more a collection of thoughts, memories, feelings, etc. that points to a little "me" or small self as being real...but, that's all a trick like you said. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

59 minutes ago, Spaceofawareness said:

If the ego doesn’t exist, how does one transcend something that isn’t there? It may not be a single thing, more the collection of unconscious and consciously understood conditioning, both socially and in relation to the concept of you. What you probably mean is, we mistake these ideas to be true and unchanging. They are beliefs which we take to be true, permanent, unchangeable characteristics. 

So maybe we could say, there must be the direct realisation that what we thought was our self as an entity with these characteristics and properties and beliefs about itself, is actually a “construct”. So we are mistaken about what is there, confused. What we really are, pure awareness, has been “possessed” by this construct, and we have been mistaken about our true nature. These self beliefs which also contain and restrain us are not the truth, but rather have been mis attributed based on years of interactions with the world and other people, these interactions have produced within us, observations about these interactions, and other “people” have also imprinted their observations on us, either by words or action, no matter how subtle, which our minds have taken into this construct and updated it.

Once one has a realisation that they are not this, and that what this ego really is is what has been described, they need to continue to keep this in mind, as the ego continually tries to draw them back into this illusion/delusion. By remaining aware of ones true nature one can remain “above” or “outside” of the ego’s grasp, remaining in a place the ego knows nothing about and can’t access.

This is my understanding thus far, I may be wrong. However I think it’s not quite correct to say the ego doesn’t exist, more so that we have been mistaken about both our and it’s true nature. It’s an illusion, in the sense of the word used by magicians, a trick, something completely different than what we were led to believe it was.

Very well said... yes transcending is just an expression used to describe the disidentification.

As far as the ego not existing it's kind of hard to explain...

After Awakening occurred here it was simultaneously recognized there was never a ME here to identify with anything...

literally nothing identifying as someone... it's completely radical and incomprehensible ❤

@VeganAwake yes I see.

Your true nature is not a ‘who’, or even a ‘what’, because what you are just ‘is’, pure awareness. What you thought you were never was, this person.