Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bno

Overcoming stage green ego

65 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Derek White said:

@purerogue Do dwarfs have a disadvantage compared to average sized people? Or are you going to say what about dwarfs who are biased?

I guess it does not matter if he is straight,white, male, it fixes everything. 

@purerogue This might help you expand your perspective. 

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't think Tulsi is a good candidate. Not sure why some people think she's so progressive and good. Plus she has no chance of winning.

No More Presidential Wars Act

Stop Arming Terrorists Act
War Powers Amendment
Saving America's Pollinators
Reinstate Glass Steagal
Legalize Marijuana (and all drugs)
Opioid Crisis Accountability Act
Keep Families Together
Equality Act
Net Neutrality
Improve Social Security
Water Affordability, Transparency, Equity, and Reliability Act
College For All
Nurse Staffing Standards for Hospital Patient Safety and Quality Care Act
Inclusive Prosperity Act (which will fund education and Medicare For All)
Expanded and Improved Medicare For All Act
Automatic Voter Registration
Securing America's Elections Act
OFF Fossil Fuels Act (better than the Green New Deal)
Funding to Improve Infrastructure and Jobs
Protect our Oceans and Fish Sustainability
Federal Assault Weapons Ban
Sustainable Energy
DACA
Mass Violence Prevention
Raise the Wage

She's young and part of the movement. She is the future. She is loyal and reliable, as shes shown to stand up for Bernie ever since 2016. Bernie needs a a true progressie VP and successor and needs delegates from her if we want to win and progress society into higher consciousness. Of course, you won't hear all this from the white gatekeepers like TYT. However, they loved her when she stepped down from her Vice Chair DNC position to back Bernie back in 2016.

It's myopic to put your candidate above all criticism as if they're the only ones you should be backing. In terms of values, it's democracy first, the progressive movement second, and your preferred candidate a distant third. This is what TYT doesn't understand. To them its Bernie first, the movement second, and democracy last.

Edited by Bno

10 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@purerogue You clearly have the experience and perspective of white, straight males down. You are a fluent expert in this perspective. If we were to have a diversity panel and needed someone to represent the experience and perspective of a white, straight male - you would be highly qualified for this.  I am not arguing with what you are saying. It is true from this perspective. 

What I am saying is that there is a lot being missed. A lot. From my pov, every time I try to show another perspective, you counter that with a white, male, straight perspective. You won’t expand understanding empathically with this mindset. If I was trying to learn Spanish and everytime the Spanish person spoke I replied “Yea but, what about English” and then spoke English, I will not learn Spanish. Similarly, if someone tried to speak an aspect of the female experience and I replied “Yea but, what about men?” and then spoke about men, I will not learn about the female experience and perspective. 

For example, when I mentioned how women feel unsafe traveling to certain areas that men wouldn’t worry about safety, you responded with a “yea but, what about men” and went immersed back into maleness. There is nothing wrong with this orientation, yet it won’t allow space to expand and connect at deeper levels. Another orientation would be to drop the attachment and identification with maleness and allow insights to arise. A curiosity may arise “I wonder what that would be like. . .”. You may perceive things in new ways. What might it feel like to be afraid to enter an area because there is a chance of being raped? I don’t know. I’m a male and never had to deal with this. To some degree, I can imagine it. Last week while the sun was setting I entered our nature center and realized “If I was a woman, I wouldn’t feel safe right now”. I really imagined what that would be like. Another way is to talk to women about their experience. You mentioned that men also have safety issues about getting beat up by other men. Perhaps a women’s experience is similar. We could ask a woman “I’m curious what the experience of sexual assault anxiety is like. When I am in a bad part of town at night, I feel anxiety some guy may physically assault me. Is it kinda like that. How is it similar and different?”. I’ve had these types of conversations with women and have gotten really close to actually understanding and experiencing it. The key for me is to let go and really immerse myself into what they are saying. Imagine that you are an actor a will be playing a black man or woman in an upcoming movie. To do it well, you would need to let go of your own identity, surrender and fully immerse yourself into them to become them. 

Yet this type of empathic understanding might not  be important to you. It’s very important to me and it’s my primary orientation. What I’m writing doesn’t seem to resonate with you, so we might have different orientations in this area, which is fine. 

You still do not get my point, first of all you are cherry picking white,male,straight  and putting it in your own  terms, to suit your narrative, I can change it to other place and it will change , so it works only in your box, second these are just broad statements, if we will dig deeper we will find its own + and - in being male, straight, white, third you can't put people in such generalized boxes, people are way to different, with millions of attributes, forth my point was exactly this, people will counter your approach, if not verbally, then in their mind.

I have to goo see you tomorrow! :D 

Edited by purerogue

@purerogue I’m very emapthically oriented toward seeing and feeling other experiences/perspectives.  I‘m very curious about what it’s like to be other people - what it’s like to have their experience. And not just gender and race. I wonder what it’s like to be bi-polar, an Alaskan fisherman, a person in solitary confinement, insane, a genius, speaking Chinese, a pedophile, having multiple personality disorder, being an alien and on and on. I spend a lot of time contemplating it and at times experiencing it. And I have a natural ability to empathically connect. It’s both a curse and a gift. 

Sometimes I assume others also value this and would want this - yet this isn’t always the case. I think sometimes I may try to “help” someone by leading them to this end. Yet perhaps that isn’t always helpful to them. It seems pretty obvious that what I’m writing doesn’t resonate with you and isn’t something you are attracted toward. So it’s prolly best I step aside.