poimandres

Tenth year of searching

7 posts in this topic

If it's one single episode of Leo's that I like, it's Be F*cking Patient. There's a line I keep saying to myself and I'll quote "If it takes you ten years it's still worth it." Well guess what..

This year will be ten years and still no success of making my dreams happen. I've tried everything under the sun. Read tons of books, started 3 failed businesses, investigated Amazon FBA, taken courses on real estate flipping, been to startup launch competitions (they literally win prize money for pitching their ideas against other successful entrepreneurs), mingled with other successful entrepreneurs at events, this past year I've spent $3+k alone on educating myself to trade stocks/forex and I'm still not profitable after 8 months of trading every single day and reading books watching hundreds of hours of videos.

I am out of options but I will still continue on. I'm sure I will start yet another business sometime and even though I'm not profitable yet in trading, I like it so I'll keep trying and trying.

Maybe someone will find this inspiring if they are just starting out.

I recognize that you are not soliciting others opinions with this thread, but what about the idea of pursuing something that is slightly more conventional and predictable?

4 hours ago, poimandres said:

This year will be ten years and still no success of making my dreams happen.

What are your dreams? From what you have written it looks like "I want to get rich quick".

What businesses have you started that failed?

2 hours ago, Girzo said:

What are your dreams? From what you have written it looks like "I want to get rich quick".

What businesses have you started that failed?

I want to be financially independent. My first business, was a dashboard reporting platform from another help desk platform called Freshdesk. I used their api to have my clients log into my platform, retrieve their tickets, and I would produce metrics that Freshdesk wasn't doing at the time. No one wanted it. Customers would get my free 60day trial period, log in for 10minutes and look at the charts and never return.

My next venture, someone reached out to me on cofounders lab, I didn't check his background, we started a dating site together, and he claimed he knew about marketing, but when the time came, nothing to show on his side. I wrote the entire website.

My final venture to date, was some friends and myself wanted to start a crypto exchange platform from an open source one. I got it functional. We severely disagreed on how to grow the business. They wanted to take out loans from the bank, I wanted to grow organically, bootstrapping. We had interviews lined up from good online websites that would drive traffic to our site, my friend was just too techy and didn't want to start with the Honda of AWS low tier stuff and work out way up as we got more and more customers. He wanted us to get a loan and pay $2k a month with zero traffic on the site -- that's how you go broke fast as hell, spending money you do not have. I even talked to a successful entrepreneur to validate my thinking at the time. He confirmed I was thinking smart, that was another flag as to why I quit.

Then I learned more about trading because I love investing, no cofounders who are not equally yolked, success is very individual with trading. No one does it for you. I've essentially educated myself very much on markets, which is awesome, but I can't seem to become profitable in trading forex. I do not haven enough capital to grow (you need at least 10k) and since I'm not profitable, I'm going back to trading a demo account. I've spent more on education than money I've actually lost (literally lost $250). Learned there is no holy Grail strategy, but learned a bunch about how markets are manipulated, supply/demand, and how banks trade. Except I can't predict if they went long or short. ? I don't feel it's a total loss because now I'm waaaay smarter about my choices to my 401k and my Roth IRA.

Edited by poimandres

@poimandres Man seems youve made 2 mistakes over and over

1) Relying on other people too much instead of being an entrepreneur and hiring and delegating 

2) You chase things which looks rich quick promising and then it didnt blow up 2 times. YOu need to find what you like to do and grow it like a gardener, not pump and dump on steroids.

Forex doesnt get you anywhere, trading is for your retirement account. 

Check your interests again and try doing something which might pop in 2 years but is not hot right now

You seem to have good Tech Skills and be self conscious, I´d be interested to work with you on some projects 

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?