Danioover9000

Advice on vegetables?

9 posts in this topic

I'll be increasing my consumption of veggies, but I have this recent objection to doing this, and it goes like this: If I'm to eventually go vegan and just eat plant-based food every day, and more people are going vegan, am I actually contributing to deforestation and inequality? Because My new demand for veggies would, together with vegans, influence the supply. And those suppliers would have to, depending on what fruits and veggies I and people want, clear land (deforestation) to create agriculture for veggies. the more demand for veggies, the more deforestation, which encourages an increase in cheaper labor.

I've also recently watched a documentary on plants possibly having sentience, and I'm feeling a bit uneasy about eating them now.

Any insight into this?

Plants and meat are both a sustainable source of food. Nothing to worry about. You don't necessarily have to go vegan, you can still eat some meat if you choose. Grass-fed meat in moderate amounts is very healthy. 

I mean everything is living really. It's more on a level of how conscious the thing your eating is I suppose what most worry about. The farming of animals causes a lot more environmental impact, than just growing the plants. Because with the live stock you have to farm the plans for them to eat as well and account for all of their waste and housing. Also, on higher scale there could be things like advanced hydroponic farms and stuff that could go upwards structurally etc. 

Do your research on actually maintaining the diet before you jump in if you decide to. 

WHAT? REAL cows eat grass and grass only! - and on grassland you can't grow vegetable without an extreme amount of chemicals.

and cows on grassland REDUCE the co2 in atmosphere - and methan helps the grass to regrow

and 99% of the water they use are rainwater

and sorry, nobody should ever eat soy - humans or cows - nobody

I think this thread has demonstrated enough limited thinking on this subject for me. I've made up my mind. Mods, thread lock this thread, please.