Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom T

Will Brexit Affect My Life Purpose That Much?

6 posts in this topic

hi guy, I took Leos life purposes to course a while back and as a result I am currently creating a 1 on 1 counselling practice, creating workshops, webinars, a free blog, etc, so that is my plan and I want to do it all where I live which is in the UK. Now because of Brexit happening, I feel that the possible longterm recession coming I predict that I will be struggling to make ends meet with my life purpose career so i have been debating to move to a completely different country such as Canada or Australia or somewhere else.

my plan as of yet is to stay in the uk for 1 year and see how everything goes, and if the recession affects me lots then I will start counseling people overseas through skye and also plan to move there asap. 

my question is do people think this is even necessary? will Brexit affect my life purpose that much as a small business owner? and are there any other factors i should be taking into consideration which i may be missing too? 

many thanks for reading :)

Hi Tom, 

That is hard to predict, it all depends on what kind of trading relationship with the EU will be negotiated by the BoJo government going forward.

However, it doesn't bode well, that the UK economy is already skirting recession according to the latest figures, as is the German one. I'm afraid Brexit is likely to drag the whole of Europe down for years to come, so perhaps moving overseas isn't such a bad idea, if you can make it work. 

But, you should really think it over, because moving to another continent (as opposed, to say, just across the channel) has long-term consequences that you may come to regret. For instance, if you move to Australia, you're unlikely to visit Europe with any kind of frequency and you will gradually lose your current circle of friends and other relationships. 

I have friends who started a business in the midst of a major recession (in Greece) and they ended up losing an awful lot of money. I think you should really think carefully about the business cycle and plan your business accordingly. Also, there are growth areas even during a recession (for instance, in areas where people are trying to save money and can get better value products and services, when times are tough.)

@Tom T Great Question, unfortunately this is a very difficult one! It depends on how we leave the EU, to put it simply. Regardless of Brexit, the Conservative Government is tearing this country limb from limb. Leaving the EU should have no direct impact on your Life Purpose business, being a private enterprise, so I wouldn't worry about that, moving country probably wouldn't work so well as Australia and Canada for example have their own issues as well. Brexit will NOT bust the UK economy unless this clown Government make it so, hopefully this is one thing they can get right.

Worry about the Conservatives, even if you move to another country they will still have their fingers in pies.

Your plan is good. Just keep doing what you are doing, wait 1 year and see where you are in life and where the country is, I am in the same situation and I agree with your tactic, take it easy! :) 

@Dumuzzi yes i think i may do that if it gets bad over here. Iv been thinking lately i might even if it does not get worse over here !!! i do fancy a change-up in my life !! I will have to fully contemplate it though tho and see if it is what i really want. and thank you for the info !! iv just bought a book on how to prepare your business for a recession, I'm going to read it and have a go at implementing some of the theory this year n seehow it goes. iv also decided that i might counsel people oversea through skype too.

@Light Lover and yesss i know !! i need to fully research the ecomomic and political state of which every country i am moving to first, lol there all working at such a low level, i cant just run away every time a country i am living in faces a recession, I need to position my business in such a way where it dose not even matter if there is a recession. and if you are in the same situation as me iv just started reading a book called "dont lose your home over it, stratagies to recession proof your business" iv had a skim through it and started reading it today, it seems like a good resource you should check it out man !! :) and i wish you much luck on your jounrey !! 

@Tom T Your business will always be in demand, however competition will be something to consider. Technology is any businesses gold mine so as you can use Skype etc you'll be fine (although there's nothing quite like a counselling session directly with the person). 

The brexit fiasco is a worry for us all but go forth my friend, forget about those corrupt politicians and good luck!