Amir

Teenagers And Habits

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyoneLately I have been getting into changing habits. I have many bad habits that I want to change. I can't make any big changes in my life yet since I am 16 years old.

Bad habits:

- Watching entertaining videos on YouTube.

Such as gaming videos.

- Being lazy.

Generally just procrastinating and not doing what I should be doing.

Good habits (That I want to do):

- Exercising

I want to do 100 push ups and 100 sit ups every day, I also want to run.

- Meditation

I want to meditate 20 minutes a day, every day. Preferably mindfulness.

- Eating healthy

This I wont be able to do easily, since I live with my parents.

There are two problems I am facing:

- I keep slacking off.

Only when I am really motivated to the work I do it.

- I keep looking for more information, but don't really implement it.

I love to learn new things that blow my mind, but I never really do anything with it.

Question:

How do I solve these problems?

Leave behind a list of your habits as well, I would love to see yours.

Edited by Amir

14 minutes ago, Amir said:

Hi everyoneLately I have been getting into changing habits. I have many bad habits that I want to change. I can't make any big changes in my life yet since I am 16 years old.

Bad habits:

- Watching entertaining videos on YouTube.

Such as gaming videos.

- Being lazy.

Generally just procrastinating and not doing what I should be doing.

Good habits (That I want to do):

- Exercising

I want to do 100 push ups and 100 sit ups every day, I also want to run.

- Meditation

I want to meditate 20 minutes a day, every day. Preferably mindfulness.

- Eating healthy

This I wont be able to do easily, since I live with my parents.

There are two problems I am facing:

- I keep slacking off.

Only when I am really motivated to the work I do it.

- I keep looking for more information, but don't really implement it.

I love to learn new things that blow my mind, but I never really do anything with it.

Question:

How do I solve these problems?

Leave behind a list of your habits as well, I would love to see yours.

Several days ago I was a teenager too :D 

wanna do 100 push-ups? I want the same, plus 50 pull-ups which is my AIM! If you want to see some results you must be consistent in your training. CONSISTENCY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MAKING GAINS IN ALMOST ANY FIELD, wether it is building muscle, losing weight, learning another language ect. Wanna know how to solve your problems? I would like to advise you realizing that problems actually do not exist... If you want to achieve some goals like doing 100 push-ups you must STFU and do what you have to do wether you feel like it or NOT

good luck

First post!
Leo has some really good videos explaining this in depth. Look for the ones involving productivity. I have such a struggle on my side as well, but I think I am slowly beginning to handle it. I don't think brute forcing yourself into "just doing it" is always the best course of action. You have to visualize the end result. Motivation comes with the realizing of what lies on the other end, inspiring you to reach it. I read in one book once, that people often do not take on hard decisions in life because they already believe they are satisfied with what they have. See yourself accomplishing these goals. Get hyped. Do it!

Check Leo's videos, really. This one perhaps:

Or the one on Backsliding - the realization of backsliding (slacking off) and mindfulness of its appearing plays a big role in conquering it.

If you have never done push ups before in your life I don't suggest starting with 100 per day as you will most probably burn out. I would start off with 5 and increase the number by 5 each week so you are gradually building up. I think it is also easier on the mind to get used to doing push ups as 5 push ups isn't much but it was enough for me to start doing them as I didn't feel overwhelmed with pressure which is one of the main reasons i think that people keep backsliding with their habits.

I also personally tend to look at the mirror and tense after doing my push ups and sit ups as it makes me feel good to see my muscles after tensing. It gets me pumped on doing more as I can see some progress, even if it is minor. I also approached meditation the same way. I am currently spending 40 minutes daily meditating (haven't skipped any days in my meditation practice.). I started off with 10 minutes and bumped it to 20 minutes after a month, then 30 minutes after 2 months and eventually bumped it up to 40 minutes. The most important thing for me personally was to put the habit into place even if you have to do less or spend less time doing it in order to create the habit. Leo has said that it takes roughly a month, maybe 2 to form the habit so if you have to spend less time or do less in order for the habit to be implanted then so be it.

1 minute ago, AziiXz said:

If you have never done push ups before in your life I don't suggest starting with 100 per day as you will most probably burn out. I would start off with 5 and increase the number by 5 each week so you are gradually building up. I think it is also easier on the mind to get used to doing push ups as 5 push ups isn't much but it was enough for me to start doing them as I didn't feel overwhelmed with pressure which is one of the main reasons i think that people keep backsliding with their habits.

I also personally tend to look at the mirror and tense after doing my push ups and sit ups as it makes me feel good to see my muscles after tensing. It gets me pumped on doing more as I can see some progress, even if it is minor. I also approached meditation the same way. I am currently spending 40 minutes daily meditating (haven't skipped any days in my meditation practice.). I started off with 10 minutes and bumped it to 20 minutes after a month, then 30 minutes after 2 months and eventually bumped it up to 40 minutes. The most important thing for me personally was to put the habit into place even if you have to do less or spend less time doing it in order to create the habit. Leo has said that it takes roughly a month, maybe 2 to form the habit so if you have to spend less time or do less in order for the habit to be implanted then so be it.

Thank you, I have done push ups before, so that won't be a real problem for me. However I can and will use what you suggest on meditation. 

Do mediation in the morning. Make it habit until it becomes automatic. You have great control at the beginning of your day and at the very end.

I would suggest to you that you look for people who share your interests, so you can meet up and do something together, for example working out, playing games or learning something. you can also take part in an acting class or some language class, if accessible for you! especially the acting classes helped me a lot to get something done practically.

It is always easier and more beneficial to get into a group, so you can benefit from others. if you just watch informational videos all alone you will not achieve that much.

Edited by Valium

16 hours ago, Valium said:

I would suggest to you that you look for people who share your interests, so you can meet up and do something together, for example working out, playing games or learning something. you can also take part in an acting class or some language class, if accessible for you! especially the acting classes helped me a lot to get something done practically.

It is always easier and more beneficial to get into a group, so you can benefit from others. if you just watch informational videos all alone you will not achieve that much.

So far I haven't really found anyone of my age interested in this (except for on this forum). Thanks though :)

Hey I am back again!

Sorry for not updating this journal of mine!

I told you I keep slacking off! :P

I want to tell you about the things I have been doing recently.

1. Meditation

Meditation is a habit which I have been trying to develop again and again. I kept failing to make it a habit and probably will keep doing the same.

2. Self-Inquiry

Although I might not understand how to do it exactly, I have been trying to do it. Sometimes while I am meditating I ask myself "Who am I" and I try to look for myself. 

3. Found interesting guru called "Mooji"

I highly recommend you search for him on YouTube if you're interested in enlightenment. On YouTube he is called "Moojiji".

Questions:

What tips do you have for making a habit stick?

How do you effectively do self-inquiry work?

@Amir Rupert Spira feels like Mooji to me. I think he's clearer. I haven't watched many videos though.

I don't know if you wanna do "sometimes I ask myself who I am". I think it's better to stay with a single activity as a beginner. I am floating all around with do nothing technique right now.

To make a habit stick use awareness :P. Check out Leo's latest video about how awareness is curative. He doesn't say this in his video but really try to examine what a habit is going to get you and what it is going to deny you. Visualization techniques revolve around getting clear into what this fucking thing does to your life. You don't need to even visualize I find. Just sit down and right about why you're doing this? Are you aware of your reasons? If you really want something as Leo mentioned you only need to be aware and you'll do the deed. 

You probably are skeptical about meditation. I used to be. I quit for 6 months and now I'm back. I didn't immediately quit though. It was this ongoing thing I had in my life that I didn't know the reason for. I just said I'll come back to it when I see that I really need this in my life.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

@Amir 

Hey there!

I see you are very excited about this. Keep things simple . Do not overwhelm/frustrate yourself in trying to install multiple habits . Pick one at a time . Start with meditation and make it stick .

2 minutes ago, Donald said:

@Amir 

Hey there!

I see you are very excited about this. Keep things simple . Do not overwhelm/frustrate yourself in trying to install multiple habits . Pick one at a time . Start with meditation and make it stick .

Thank you, @Donald!

Right now I am focusing on meditation and self-inquiry. Thank you for the reply. 

4 minutes ago, Phrae said:

@Amir Rupert Spira feels like Mooji to me. I think he's clearer. I haven't watched many videos though.

I don't know if you wanna do "sometimes I ask myself who I am". I think it's better to stay with a single activity as a beginner. I am floating all around with do nothing technique right now.

To make a habit stick use awareness :P. Check out Leo's latest video about how awareness is curative. He doesn't say this in his video but really try to examine what a habit is going to get you and what it is going to deny you. Visualization techniques revolve around getting clear into what this fucking thing does to your life. You don't need to even visualize I find. Just sit down and right about why you're doing this? Are you aware of your reasons? If you really want something as Leo mentioned you only need to be aware and you'll do the deed. 

You probably are skeptical about meditation. I used to be. I quit for 6 months and now I'm back. I didn't immediately quit though. It was this ongoing thing I had in my life that I didn't know the reason for. I just said I'll come back to it when I see that I really need this in my life.

@Phrae, thank you for the reply. I am not skeptical about meditation. I am sure it will have a great effect on the amount of satisfaction I will have in my life (I am aware there are many other benefits to meditation).

Oh and I have watched that video already. Thanks though! :) 

@Amir How long is it important enough for? How much is meditation important? When can other things replace it?

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

@Phrae, I haven't thought about that yet. I think meditation should be a lifelong practice. I also feel like meditation should not have to replace anything, unless the things you're doing are destructive to yourself. 

Hey I am back again with something I 'discovered'.

For quite a while it felt like I was focusing on things myself. Now I found that I do not really control what happens to my focus (it feels like that anyways). Correct me if I am wrong here, maybe I am sidetracking :P .  It more feels like I am experiencing the focus, instead of being the one that is focusing.